As family organizer I'm thinking of setting up some accounts pre-populated. Any reasons not to?

petuniasauntie
petuniasauntie
Community Member

I'm a new 1PW user and family plan organizer and designing our account structure. I am considering creating what are essentially template accounts for some family members (children, elderly) and pre-populating these accounts with some shared family vaults, some of their "private" vault data and also with family-customized quick start guides to using 1PW - possibly as a replacement to the Welcome Guide (or in addition to it, or by editing and replacing it with an augmented version.)

My concept is to create their accounts myself with an initial master password of my choosing, from my local MacOS computer.

Before sharing the account access information with them, we would do these two steps:

1) I would either talk them through the process of downloading the 1PW client on each of their devices and setting up the browser extensions for filling, or do it for them. (Variously our family has MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, iWatches, Android phones, and a few non-Mac PCs).

2) I would provide recommendations on creating a strong master password and ask them to come up with their own (sharing it with me or keeping it private, depending on the individual's age and functioning level)

I would then talk them through accessing their 1PW account for the first time, and changing the master password I used to create it to their own. They would then be able to use the account from my pre-populated point forward, as usual.

Is there anything about this approach that you see as a problem? Anything about creating the initial "template" accounts on my computer rather than on the eventual target device? Anything I'm not considering that I should be? Any alternatives you think are better? Suggestions to improve this approach?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@petuniasauntie: One downside to consider is that you will have copies of the data in your own vault(s). That's probably not an issue in your case, since you're creating the items. But it is important to keep in mind that anything a user has access to cannot be taken away from them in any guaranteed fashion. For example, if I share a login with someone, it should be assumed that I know the password used at that time, even if it is later removed from my vault: I could have copied (or written it down) elsewhere. So typically we'd recommend giving someone a "temporary" password for a site and having them change it after ownership of that item is transferred to them solely (placed in their Personal/Private vault, for instance). Walking them through the setup process and choosing a good Master Password sounds really helpful. :)

This discussion has been closed.