To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password.com degraded service [resolved 10/30]

pdxjl
pdxjl
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Memberships

Getting a 503 error code when trying to reach my online password vaults and not able to sync to my mobile device

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DrErnie
    DrErnie
    Community Member

Our team can not log into 1Password on the web, either using our company URL or the sign-in link on the main website

https://my.1password.com/signin/

Looks like some others are seeing the same thing:
    http://downdetector.com/status/1-password

• adamskobo
    adamskobo
    Community Member

same here...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Sorry for the trouble. We're investigating a service issue currently on 1Password.com. We have our own server status page here as well:

1Password.com status

We'll get it sorted out, and you can access your data on any of your authorized devices in the mean time. I apologize for the inconvenience!

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

The irony of not being able to login to the discussion forum because 1Password is down... :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:(

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member

*sigh. It's also ironic (for me at least) that 1password.ca is up ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Everything should be back to normal now. Thanks everyone for your patience while we got things sorted! :chuffed:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

We are continuing to work hard on the solution.

Will you post what went wrong and what you will do to prevent this from happening again?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

brenty posted this about it in another discussion:

We had some trouble earlier and had to take things down for a bit to fix some performance issues:

1Password.com server outage

Things are looking good, but we're continuing to monitor things and take steps to ensure it isn't necessary to have unplanned downtime again. Thanks for your patience. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I saw that earlier today (either via RSS or Twitter), but it's not the post-mortem answering my questions.

Of course you don't have to post this kind of info, but I rather like it when a provider does anyway (FastMail is really good at this).

• Further information is available here:

1Password.com server outage (October 2017)

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Isn't that the same link brenty & sjk already shared?

• @XIII,

It is, yes. What questions do you have that are not answered there? I can’t promise that I’ll be able to answer them but I’m not entirely sure what it is that you’re looking for beyond what we’ve provided.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

What I like about how FastMail handles outages is that they not only say "We had a problem. It is fixed now." like AgileBits does in the post you guys shared (OK, you give some more info than that), but also explain what actually went wrong (in detail) and what they changed in their way of working to prevent it from happening again.

Example: https://blog.fastmail.com/2016/02/12/diary-of-a-network-outage/

I have to admit that they don't do this for every outage, but I find it nice reads. These guys know what they are talking about and know how to share that. Just like you guys at AgileBits when the topic is security. I was hoping you could do the same for networking now that 1Password.com is an essential part of the service you offer. That would give me the feeling that you are on top of this and not just outsourcing it to Amazon (which maybe is fine as well; maybe I should adjust my expectations).

• I see. Thanks for the feedback @XIII. I know our team is working on a follow up blog post regarding this incident and I’ll be sure to let them know these are the kind of details you are hoping to see.

Ben

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member

Still no explanation of what happened or a thorough post-mortem.

This type of outage without explanation is pretty disturbing to be bluntly honest.

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member

Hello,

I've been following the Status Page: https://1password.statuspage.io/# expecting that a proper Post mortem after 1Password Teams had several periods of being completely OFFLINE.

These sorts of things happen, but the lack of a proper substantive update is pretty disappointing. I expect more from a provider hosting such a critical SaaS solution for all of the organizations that use it. I dont want to just see that it was fixed, I want you to describe in gritty detail what went wrong and what steps are being taken to avoid this in the future.

The few hours of downtime had a BIG impact in all three organizations I'm using 1Password Teams in because of how we are forced to use your platform in each organization. The lack of native support for DuoSecurity (and its associated benefits like IP based restrictions) in the desktop apps mean that all staff other than directors are being forced to use the 1Password Teams website.

This resulted in the majority of users in a few cases not being able to access their passwords at all. This type of outage will be an absolute disaster if it happens in a month or so once more(or all) staff are onboarded, but only if the security, restrictions, and manageability of your desktop apps isn't improved.

We are taking this risk with you because of how you have prioritized and engineered an encryption focused solution, but also because you are Beta'ing a 2-Factor AUTHENTICATION solution like DuoSecurity. 2-Factor encryption IS NOT a substitution for 2-Factor authentication. We need both.

Please provide a proper update regarding this outage.

1Password Version: 6.8.647
    Extension Version: 4.6.12.3
    OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@DariusR: I've merged your multiple separate posts with the existing discussion on this topic. Please don't post the same thing all over, as it means it takes us longer to get that sorted, and therefore takes longer for you and everyone else to get replies. This is especially important since our customers come to this support forum for help. Let's not needlessly make them wait longer than is necessary. :blush:

Still no explanation of what happened or a thorough post-mortem. This type of outage without explanation is pretty disturbing to be bluntly honest.

We discussed this via this forum, email, and social media throughout, and posted more details last month immediately following the incident:

1Password.com server outage (October 2017)

Hello, I've been following the Status Page: https://1password.statuspage.io/# expecting that a proper Post mortem after 1Password Teams had several periods of being completely OFFLINE. These sorts of things happen, but the lack of a proper substantive update is pretty disappointing. I expect more from a provider hosting such a critical SaaS solution for all of the organizations that use it. I dont want to just see that it was fixed, I want you to describe in gritty detail what went wrong and what steps are being taken to avoid this in the future.

I'm not sure we're going to give you all of the details, but if you can be more specific what you're expecting maybe there's something we can do to help.

The few hours of downtime had a BIG impact in all three organizations I'm using 1Password Teams in because of how we are forced to use your platform in each organization. The lack of native support for DuoSecurity (and its associated benefits like IP based restrictions) in the desktop apps mean that all staff other than directors are being forced to use the 1Password Teams website.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you not using the native 1Password apps at all? If you are, then you'll still be able to access your data regardless of the status of 1Password.com or your internet connection. If you're not, we'd love to hear why.

This resulted in the majority of users in a few cases not being able to access their passwords at all. This type of outage will be an absolute disaster if it happens in a month or so once more(or all) staff are onboarded, but only if the security, restrictions, and manageability of your desktop apps isn't improved.

I agree. That's why we worked around the clock to get it resolved, and continue to monitor and work with AWS to take preventative measures.

We are taking this risk with you because of how you have prioritized and engineered an encryption focused solution, but also because you are Beta'ing a 2-Factor AUTHENTICATION solution like DuoSecurity. 2-Factor encryption IS NOT a substitution for 2-Factor authentication. We need both.

Two-factor authentication isn't a substitute for security, and doesn't really have anything to do with this; but it's good to know that's something you'd like us to finalize and add to the service more broadly.

Please provide a proper update regarding this outage.

What constitutes "proper" in your mind? What information are you looking for exactly? Thanks! :)

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty Noted on all fronts. Being restricted from posting more than once every 5 minutes certainly drives the point home.
    I certainly wont make the mistake again. Sorry for this.

To be clear, what finally showed up on the below page is all I was expecting. We should not have to go searching for this though. It should be on your status page, or your status page should be linking to it.

This would have saved you, I'm sure, several hours of replying to all our messages about it. The status page needs to be more than just a "Ya, everything is fine now" or "Everything is on fire".

https://support.1password.com/kb/201710/

• Thanks for the feedback, @DariusR. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DariusR: Also, that article was link right out in front of our support page — https://support.1password.com — just under a month ago when all of this was going on. But once the issue was resolved we removed the big banner with it. It would be pretty confusing for customers to see "1Password.com server outage" when none was ongoing. Hopefully it isn't necessary to do something like that again, but we'll have info there as soon as we can if it does. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.