Faux "native" Chrome Application Shortcuts

Hey there,

I'm thrilled with this extension. Fantastic work! Is there any plan for allowing the chrome extension to be launched via desktop or launcher shortcuts in order to "emulate" the experience of a native application on Linux? Signal and Telegram are good examples of extensions with this kind of functionality that I'm doing such a horrible job of describing. Please see the screenshot below.

Thank you!

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 0.9.5
OS Version: Linux 4.13.0-16 x64
Sync Type: my.1password

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mcquigge,

Welcome to our support forum and the 1Password for Chrome beta! I'm delighted to hear you're finding 1Password for Chome helpful, heck even thrilling!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've looked at Signal and Telegram, and it appears that they are Chrome Apps, instead of extensions. It's slightly counterintuitive as they are displayed on the extensions page in Chrome. However, it makes sense as Google Chrome has announced they will be officially discontinuing Chrome Packaged Apps in early 2018. Most, if not all, of the functionally for Chrome Apps, will likely be removed as part of this discontinuation. Based on this, it's reasonably safe to say 1Password for Chrome will not make the jump from Extension to Package App.

As you've hopefully noticed, 1Password for Chrome is a heck of a lot more than your standard browser extension! We try to develop for the future, and we have a long list of features that will be being added. It's a dream of mine to see a native 1Password app created for Linux, but if that happens, we would want it around for a long time. :)

I hope that helps. Have a great week!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.