One domain name, multiple websites, using separate login/password with auto-fill for each of them

Options

Hi! In our corporate network we have a lot of websites with the same domain name, each website having its own authentication (meaning I need a separate login/password for each of them). The websites urls look like this:

my.company.com/website1
my.company.com/website2
my.company.com/website3

etc.

I've created several login items for domain name "my.company.com", one for each website. Each login item has "website" property filled correctly (equal to the full website url).

What I now need is for the browser extension to auto-fill the login/password correctly on each of the websites. Currently when auto-fill function is triggered 1password offers a UI dialog with a choice of login items, which kind of defies the purpose of auto-fill in my understanding (to be able to quickly and seamlessly log in on every web-site).

Is there a way to configure 1password so that the auto-fill works automatically for all of the websites within one domain name?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @saggit,

At the moment no. 1Password only looks at the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) (my.company.com in your example) for determining matches and does not use the path. I cannot say if 1Password will ever use the path to help distinguish between multiple Login items but we do track requests and consider various factors such as popularity and what percentage of our user base could benefit. 1Password would automatically fill without prompting if each site used a unique subdomain and each Login item was configured to point to it.

Another option may be "open and fill" or 1click bookmarks to access the site. They contain a reference to a specific Login item's UUID and would bypass the need to select a Login item as it was already encoded in the bookmark. The conversation over in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/350421/#Comment_350421 might help a bit in this. Could that help workaround the fact that 1Password doesn't use the path when considering matches?

• saggit
    saggit
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @littlebobbytables

Thank you for your quick reply and the suggestions.

Could that help workaround the fact that 1Password doesn't use the path when considering matches?

Most of the times I open these websites by following a provided link to a particular webpage, for example:

my.company.com/website1/path/to/page

This first redirects me to login page

my.company.com/website1/authLogin

where I hope to use 1password to auto-fill the login/password. After successful login I'm redirected back to the requested webpage. Such workflow does not allow me to use "open and fill" feature or 1click bookmarks.

I hope that someday I'll be able to use 1password auto-fill in this scenario.

Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @saggit,

When you're following a provided link do the links routinely change based on the task at hand or do you tend to use the same URL time and time again? Odds are once you're redirected to the sign-in page the return URL is encoded as part of the query component and so it could be stored in the Login item. That could allow open and fill to work as well as 1click bookmarks but would only do so if the URL remained unchanged for long periods otherwise you're quite correct that such features would not help here and leave you stuck with selecting the correct Login item. Sorry there isn't anything more promising to help at the moment :(

• saggit
    saggit
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

When you're following a provided link do the links routinely change based on the task at hand or do you tend to use the same URL time and time again?

There are numerous webpages for each website, the particular link address is different almost every time.

Thank you again for your effort!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@saggit I understand the situation you're in. Unfortunately, you'll need to choose from the list each time. This question comes up from time to time. I wrote about the design decisions for this back in January, and the information there is still current: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/348474#Comment_348474 Perhaps we can do something in the future, but for now, we have chosen to do the simpler thing that causes the least customer confusion.

This discussion has been closed.