Android 8.0 fingerprint unlock

yiati
yiati
Community Member

On my Pixel 2 XL running Android 8.0 I've been having serious problems with the fingerprint unlock working. It was working intermittently for me the first week or so but recently it has stopped recognizing my fingerprint 100%. I have rebooted my phone, reset my fingerprint, uninstalled and reinstalled the app all with no luck. I don't seem to have any problems unlocking my phone with my fingerprint so the scanner definitely seems to be working, it's just 1password that seems to be having problems. Sometimes it will even tell me I got the fingerprint wrong when first opening the app, and I have my finger nowhere near the fingerprint scanner.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @yiati. Let's see what's going on here. When your fingerprint isn't recognized, can you try using the tip or side of your finger? Is that recognized? Also, have you tried re-enrolling your fingerprints in the device settings? Does that help?

• tbo
    tbo
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I also have the same issue with same phone model. It's not restricted to 1Password app the issue. I got the same issue with N26 (bank app).

None of the recommandation above helped to solve the issue.

• yiati
    yiati
    Community Member

@peri Yeah, I've tried the side and tip, as well as my other fingers that I have setup with my phone. I have also un-enrolled and re-enrolled, both in the phone settings for fingerprint unlock, as well as the feature within 1password. I am actually unable to re-enroll in fingerprint unlock within 1password now, although I can still get into my USAA banking app, and the phone itself with fingerprint unlock.

I'm hoping that it's just an Android 8.0 problem, and that it will be resolved with an OS update, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that yet

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yiati, @tbo: Thanks for the additional details. I suspect that the OS isn't the issue, since I'm not seeing any difference between fingerprint behaviour between 7 and 8 on my Nexus 6P— and the fact that you're both having this problem with the Pixel 2 XL seems hard to ignore. Have you changed your sleep/lock/security settings on the device? I had a weird issue previously where Nexus Imprint didn't work reliably when I wasn't letting the device sleep.

Would you both be willing to send diagnostics the next time this happens? It may not tell us much since Nexus Imprint is handled by the OS, but perhaps it could provide a clue:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the entire file for each to an email to us: [email protected]

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

• tbo
    tbo
    Community Member

Here the support iD: [#DCD-27872-929]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tbo: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: DCD-27872-929

• travisf
    travisf
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

I too am having this issue on my Pixel 2 XL which seems isolated to 1Password. I've tested the fingerprint sensor by unlocking the phone, logging into Venmo, BankofAmerica and AndroidPay all without issue and actually very fast.

Would love to see this fixed asap as I have a really long password as you would expect for any password banks such as 1Password and its getting annoying really fast to type it out.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
    Phone: Pixel 2 XL
    Android Version: 8.0.0
    Build number: OPD1.170816.010

• Thanks @travisf. :) I believe this may actually be a hardware issue with the Pixel 2 XL, as there are discussions in the Pixel subreddit suggestion the same. I've opened an issue up internally for our team to review in case there's something we can do here, though, and I'll pass your feedback along!

• Juha Kaunisto
    Juha Kaunisto
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with my Pixel 2 XL. 1Password worked fine for a while but then stopped accepting fingerprints completely. I got it working again by removing all imprints, rebooting and adding new ones, but that only helped for a few days. Otherwise fingerprints work just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that worked for you at least temporarily. Indeed, a number of folks seem to be having issues with the fingerprint support on the Pixel 2 XL specifically. I know that Google is looking into this, and we'll also see if there's anything we can do to help. :blush:

• scgoan
    scgoan
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with my Pixel 2 XL. I can unlock my phone with no issues, but 80% of the time 1Password will not recognize my fingerprint. Please let me know if you would like me to send a diagnostics report.

• scgoan
    scgoan
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with my Pixel 2 XL. I can unlock my phone with no issues, but 80% of the time 1Password will not recognize my fingerprint. Please let me know if you would like me to send a diagnostics report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@scgoan: Sure thing! Again, from what we've seen so far I'm not certain it's something we can fix on our end since that's all handled by the OS, but I'll be happy to look at the diagnostics:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to [email protected] and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#FGA-28885-511]

If you’re reading this and you are not scgoan, this Support ID is for scgoan only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. :)

ref: FGA-28885-511

• scgoan
    scgoan
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty
    Thank you Brenty! Actually, I think I may have found a fix. This is how I fixed my issue. I first booted in safe mode, by pressing the power button until "power off" shows on the screen. Long press the "power off" icon. Then, press "okay" to go into safe mode. Next go into settings...>>>...Security & location...>>>...Pixel Imprint. Once the user has input their password, click on each fingerprint and delete them. Finally, restart the Pixel 2 and add your fingerprints again. The user then will have to go into 1Password to reauthorize their fingerprint. This appears to have fixed my issue. I'll have to give it some time before I know for sure, but it looks promising.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh, that's great! Thanks so much for letting me know. Looking forward to hearing if that solves the issue for you long-term. :)

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

FIXED: To add to this discussion, I tried redoing my fingerprint on my Pixel 2 XL and I still had the problem. What did seem to fix it however, was the Android 8.1 DP2 update. I had the same problem in other apps as well and I thought it was a hardware issue. There's a Reddit about this same issue in banking apps. The workaround for me was to lock phone. Then fingerprint unlock, then it would work. After I installed the latest Android Beta however, I haven't had the issue at all with any app. There's also many reports of the Nexus 6P and original Pixel doing the same which leads me to believe it's an Android 8.0 or DP1 problem, not hardware

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's fantastic! Thanks for letting us know! I knew Google was working on this, and it's good to hear that it's out in the wild being tested now. Glad if it's something they can improve in software. :)

This discussion has been closed.