Mac: No password needed when in my Home Wlan

Options
jens_jens
jens_jens
Community Member

Hi all,

wouldn't it be great to have such an option?

Cheers Thomas

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• That's an interesting idea. I used to write a Mac app that would configure a system based on stuff like that.

There's a couple security concerns that would need to be addressed somehow. The first is that the only good way I can think of detecting this scenario is by looking at the MAC address/BSSID of the Wi-Fi router you're connected to. That would work, but if I remember correctly it's not too hard to spoof those on an average router. Meaning that if someone knows your home router's BSSID (something you can know without ever even connecting to a network) they could make another router have the same one. Since this is what's used by devices to decide whether they should automatically connect to it, your Mac would happily connect to it.

There would be ways of mitigating this, such as not automatically unlocking when you connect to the network, but instead still requiring that you manually unlock once. Then it could maybe stay unlocked until you drop off the network.

The other security concern I can think of is how best to securely store what would be needed to unlock the app on your behalf. The mitigation idea I just mentioned would simplify this problem greatly as well.

I'm sure our security team would think of more concerns that would need to be addressed beyond those that sprung to mind. It'd be an interesting challenge to work through though.

Cheers.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.