To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New phone = no access to 1password

Options
lfuselier
lfuselier
Community Member

I just got a new phone and cannot get into my 1password account. I have been using touch ID and do not remember my master password. Ive tried everything. I can still get in on my old phone using the touch id because it has not been disabled. I went in to try and change my master password but it will not let me without the old one. So I have access on my old phone but not on new phone. Does that make sense? I have my secret key if that helps? Please help. I've been working on this for almost an hour and cannot figure out a way to access on new phone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

When did you create your 1Password.com account? Because recently (I don't have an exact date) AB started creating a login item that contains your master password and secret key inside your private vault when you signed up for an account. In my case it's called "1Password Account". Is this item maybe in your vault on your old phone, which you can unlock?

• Hey @lfuselier, I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password!

As @Manaburner mentioned, if you created your account recently, you should be able to find your Master Password in the starter kit item created in your Personal vault. Hopefully you can find it there!

If not, then I'm sorry to say that there isn't any way to recover your account without remembering your Master Password. Touch ID is a great convenience feature that saves you a lot of time unlocking 1Password, however it doesn't replace the Master Password. There are a variety of scenarios where you'll still be required to enter your Master Password (such as when signing in on a new device), so it is important to remember it. Have a read through this guide that might help you figure out what it was:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you have a Family account with another Organizer on your account, they should be able to recover your account for you.

Either way, the good news is that you can still access your passwords through your old device with Touch ID, so at least you'll be able to see those passwords if they need to be copied.

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.