Turn off animations to speed things up?

Kaveh
Kaveh
Community Member

Can you offer a way to turn off the animations? I feel like half my time spent looking things up in 1password is just waiting for the unlock animation. The recent 7.0 release for iOS greatly sped this up, but I'm over seeing it and would much rather just have it be as fast as it can be.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kaveh - thanks for the request. As you observed, we've sped up the animation speed considerably in 1Password for iOS. 1Password 7 for desktop OSes (Windows and Mac) have not yet been released, so I'd advise waiting until you see how they fit into your workflow, as I know a number of UI changes are on the horizon, and we're not likely to be making changes to the current UI of 6.x just now.

• Kaveh
    Kaveh
    Community Member

I would strongly encourage you to explore the option of making things as fast as possible (even at the expense of pretty UI animations). Even the 7.x release for iOS spends a considerable amount of time showing the unlock animation.

Consider that many of your customers are power users and would greatly appreciate this speed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kaveh - yep, we're aware of our power-user base, and grateful for you all. We're also aware that many of our users, especially more-recent ones, are anything but power users. They're people for whom animations are a reassuring sign-post to verify that things are working correctly in the way they expect. We try not to needlessly festoon 1Password with animations for no reason, and I definitely think there's room for a Preference or Setting that would allow the power-user crowd to turn existing ones off - at least some of them. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

• tornacious
    tornacious
    Community Member

I’d also love a setting to turn off ALL animations. As a software engineer and UI/UX designer, they annoy (the crap out of) me in all apps after the first few times I see them, and I work at a game company where animations are the norm! :)

1Password is a utillitarian app, so speed and performance are key. Let’s reward the loyal power users that have given so much positive feedback over the years and add the animation disable toggle under Settings. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we'll consider. But keep in mind that, depending on your machine and the database you've amassed over the years, you may not see any speed improvement if we remove the animation, only a stagnant window that stares back at you for a moment while decryption happens. ;)

• bgunther
    bgunther
    Community Member

I would also be happy to have an option to remove all animation. I spent too much time looking at it :)
    You talked about speed : I don't see a difference in that matter wether I use my Iphone 7 or Iphone X.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bgunther The difference has less to do with what device you're on (assuming both of them are recent) and more to do with how large a database you've got, how many attachments. It will vary some depending on the raw speed of the processor on your device, but every time you unlock 1Password, the entire database has to be decrypted, which is a very processor-heavy undertaking. On older devices or with larger databases, it can result in a delay -- which is why brenty said that without the animation, you might just be left staring at a "frozen"-looking screen until such time as the decryption can proceed. Thanks for weighing in!

• dtef
    dtef
    Community Member

I submitted a similar request over email a while ago. I agree that animations generally contribute to a lower perceived latency - in this case though, especially when coupled with the FaceId animation and the number of steps required by iOS to invoke 1Password, the result is the exact opposite.
    If you can’t eliminate the unlock animation completely, please consider reducing:

• the number of sequences in the animation
    • the distance objects travel on the screen and the speed at which they do that.

Work closely with your UX researcher to test and iterate on animations that are perceived as faster even when taking the exact same number of milliseconds

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dtef - thanks for the suggestions; we're always looking at ways to make 1Password faster in reality, as well as in perception. :+1: :)

• afroman
    afroman
    Community Member

Speeding up 1Password Mini would be appreciated. If the delay between fly out menus could be adjusted or eliminated, that would make things easier for me.

Current steps for me: Favorites (wait) Item (wait) Item Properties > Click Copy on Password Field.

Ideal steps for me: Favorites > Item > Click on Item to copy the password field or wait for the Item Properties to show for more options.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @afroman,

Thanks for your feedback about this.

An alternative that can help reduce "fly out menus" and their delays is to open 1Password mini (with the Option-Command-\ keyboard shortcut), enter search text, use the down-arrow key to navigate to the correct item (if it's not the first/correct one in search results), then press Shift‑Command‑C to copy the password of the selected item. Or tap the right-arrow key to show details for that item and choose something else from there. Or press Command-O to open that item in an anchored window if you want to access multiple bits of data from it.

I hope that type of interaction with 1Password mini will be helpful for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.