Firefox Support

Options
pmclanahan
pmclanahan
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Are there plans to produce a WebExtension compatible with Firefox 57+? If so what is the ETA?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.13.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: family account

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @pmclanahan,

Welcome to our forum!

We are excited to see Firefox adopted the Chrome web extensions architecture which should make it a lot easier for us to support. I can't give you an ETA yet as we were focused on getting this release out to the public. Once the dust settles from our 1.0 release party we will sit down and start working on adding Firefox as a supported browser.

Cheers!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• pmclanahan
    pmclanahan
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox has actually adopted the w3c WebExtensions standard which was developed with Google, Mozilla, Microsoft and others. I'm glad to hear supporting this standard is on your radar! Thanks for the answer. I look forward to being abut to try out the new thing!

Paul

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pmclanahan: I apologize! In my head, I was writing "the same web extensions architecture as Chrome" which isn't what came out. At least, it seems, you know what I meant! :tongue:

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• pmclanahan
    pmclanahan
    Community Member
    Options

No apology necessary. Just wanted to be clear :) Thanks again!

• I'm really excited to add Firefox support and have every intention of doing exactly that. With that said, we need to wait for the dust from the 1.0 to settle, celebrate the release, and recover from said celebrations first :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

This is very cool! Can’t wait for more!

• And more ye shall have! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare I've been a customer for a few years now, and I see you guys don't stop. I actually enjoy the updates on iOS too, you guys put the time in to say what's new, what's fixed, and little funny comments. I cant STAND the apps that get updated and it just says "bug fixes"

• @prime: Thanks so much for saying so! I help write our Windows release notes and absolutely love doing it. I always hate the "bug fixes" updates too as sometimes I've been waiting for a particular feature to be added or a certain issue to be resolved and it's much nicer to know from the release notes what's been addressed than to have to test things on my own only to find (whompwhomp) the bug that was annoying me is still there. If we've added something cool or fixed a bug, we want y'all to know so you can adjust. I'm glad you enjoy them and thanks again for sharing. :chuffed:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate my wife has the Windows version on her work computer and tells me about the notes (she actually reads them too).

Bug fixes :lol:

• @prime: That's awesome! I hope we've been able to brighten her work days on release days. We all need a pick-me-up at the office now and again. I'm lucky to have all of you for that, of course, so it's only fair I return the favor. :chuffed:

• Thank you so much for those incredibly kind words, @prime. You're right, we don't stop. In fact, I'm not sure we even understand what that word means :)

I know the lady in the Tim Horton's drive thru that I rear ended a while back would attest to that! ;)

• kasik96
    kasik96
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, do you have any plans to port 1Password X for Firefox 57 and up? Lot of Linux users use Firefox not Chrome, and now with Firefox 57 (quantum) is easier that ever to port Chrome extensions to Firefox.

Here you cand find example how easy is to port extension:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Porting_a_Google_Chrome_extension
    https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/10/porting-chrome-extensions-to-firefox-with-webextensions/

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Ubuntu
    Sync Type: 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kasik96: Thanks for getting in touch, and for your interest in 1Password X! It's really great that you're so excited about it (as we are) that you want to use it in other browser too. While we don't have immediate plans for Firefox, we'd also love to use it there ourselves. 1Password X is still pretty fresh off the presses, released just two weeks ago, and there's a lot of stuff we still want to add to it, but we'll absolutely be looking to port it to other browsers in the future. Thanks for letting us know you'd like that too! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@dweremeichik: Yep! Very similar. I'll merge them. :)

This discussion has been closed.