Setting for locking 1Password X

jontanggaard
jontanggaard
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Any way to keep 1password X unlocked after screen lock/unlock?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1709
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member

I too am a bit disappointed over the strictness of locking compared to the 1Password app (Mac). Personally, I am comfortable in the way my user account gets locked when I'm not using the computer, so I don't need 1Password to lock too. I like being able to just unlock my user account and get to work, without also needing to unlock 1Password every time. I'm happy for 1Password to lock when I restart the computer, but otherwise, I'd prefer if it could just stay unlocked.

By all means, add a big warning notice if you try and disable auto-lock but please don't force it upon us.

• neal007
    neal007
    Community Member

I want the option to remove the timeout as well.

• Lunim
    Lunim
    Community Member

Same here, I would like to keep it unlocked when my screen is locked. Also, would like to keep it unlocked if I close the browser. I would prefer to have an idle timeout only.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey folks!

Thanks for your feedback related to 1Password X and locking. As this is a brand new application, we focused on security first which we are incredibly passionate about. As we move forward, we'd be happy at looking at possible options to relax the security of 1Password X.

Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• iizacookie
    iizacookie
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

An option to disable locking per-device would be fantastic. This is an important feature for me, so quick updates would be appreciated!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see that in a future update! I'm not sure what platform you're on, so I don't know if the Mac or Windows app would be a fit for you in the meantime if it's that important to you. (If you're on a different platform, I completely understand that won't be an option.)

• SaSaSushi
    SaSaSushi
    Community Member

I'd also like an option to disable the auto-lock. Even setting to the maximum of 300 minutes doesn't seem to work as I am prompted to unlock every time again, even a few minutes later. Unlocking with command-shift-X is slow as well. It seems to hang for 3 or 4 seconds every time.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know @sasasushi!

You say you need to unlock a few minutes later, is this possibly after quitting Chrome or locking/sleeping your computer?

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• SaSaSushi
    SaSaSushi
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure of the cause but it occurs with neither locking of the computer nor quitting Chrome. This is the Mac version in Chrome 62.0.3202.94. For the time being I've switched back to the Mac app extension.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@SaSaSushi: Understood. That is definitely unusual behavior and we will look into it.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• atki0071
    atki0071
    Community Member

This is a big deal for me as well. I use 1P OS X app and recently updated to 1P X in Chrome and was disappointed to see I can't opt out of locking after X seconds. I have it set to the max of 300 minutes, but I still have to enter my master password multiple times per day (no Touchbar either), which I do not like to do and slows down my workflow (I use OS X screen locking when unattended). I also think "fill and submit" was lost in moving to Chrome 1P X extension, and now I can only "fill". I am avoiding upgrading on my other OS X laptops because I see these 2 things as regressions, not being able to opt-out of auto lock, and not being able to fill and submit forms from Chrome, which works for 90% of the 15-25+ services I interact with on a daily basis. I'd like to see both of these become preferences in a version I can opt out of. I'm fine with 1P periodically re-confirming this choice, but I want to have the choice here. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is a big deal for me as well. I use 1P OS X app and recently updated to 1P X in Chrome and was disappointed to see I can't opt out of locking after X seconds. I have it set to the max of 300 minutes, but I still have to enter my master password multiple times per day (no Touchbar either), which I do not like to do and slows down my workflow (I use OS X screen locking when unattended).

@atki0071: Sorry for the confusion! We added this option a while ago:

Just keep in mind that we're not going to store the Master Password on disk, so you'll need to enter it any time you restart the browser.

I also think "fill and submit" was lost in moving to Chrome 1P X extension, and now I can only "fill". I am avoiding upgrading on my other OS X laptops because I see these 2 things as regressions, not being able to opt-out of auto lock, and not being able to fill and submit forms from Chrome, which works for 90% of the 15-25+ services I interact with on a daily basis. I'd like to see both of these become preferences in a version I can opt out of. I'm fine with 1P periodically re-confirming this choice, but I want to have the choice here. Thanks.

To be clear, auto-lock works the same way in 1Password for Mac: if you quit the app you'll need to unlock again when you open it. And while you're correct that 1Password X does not submit login forms, you haven't "lost" that feature; you've simply foregone it by using the self-contained extension, 1Password X. You can continue using the desktop browser extension with 1Password for Mac if you prefer that. It just isn't an option for some folks, or they don't want to install an app, so 1Password X fills a need for a lot of people. I hope that helps clarify things, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions — about 1Password-anything. :)

• atki0071
    atki0071
    Community Member

Ah great - I'm back on track. I thought 1P X replaced the Chrome extension and didn't realize it was optional (in my case). I've switched back to the desktop browser extension. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@atki0071 - I'm glad brenty was able to help! On his behalf, you're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.