Syncing between Macs without a cloud service

mvest20
mvest20
Community Member

Hello, and thanks in advance for the help.

I'm a longtime 1Password user, and I absolutely love the product.

I have used Dropbox sync for as long as it has been supported. This works great for keeping my vault in sync between my multiple Macs, as well as iPads and iPhones.

I have been investigating moving over to the WLAN Server sync capability in the app, as I would like to stop putting a copy of my vault on a cloud service. I realize the vault is encrypted, but I feel that it would reduce my attack surface to only have a copy local to my network, and of course multiple back up copies on different types of media and in different locations. ;-)

The question I can't seem to get the hang of is this - it appears from reading some other forum threads that syncing between Macs is not supported through the native WLAN Server sync options in the application. Can you confirm that I understand this correctly?

If so, is there another solution I could use that keeps a local copy of my vault? I've considered putting a copy of my vault on some type of network storage, but the problem is that I don't think I can still have a local copy of the vault on my laptop that goes back and forth to my office with me, and that is a deal breaker.

The only other thing I can think of would be using something like Automator to run a workflow that would copy changes between the multiple vaults on my multiple Macs, but I see lots of potential issues with that setup and would prefer not to create a management headache in that fashion.

Is there any other solution, or is Dropbox/iCloud sync the best choice for my use case?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox/WLAN Server

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@mvest20: Thanks for reaching out. You are correct. The bad news is that we currently have no plans to support direct computer-to-computer syncing. But the good news is that with a little caution and effort, you can do this anyway. Some folks have reported success using Folder Sync on each Mac with a tool like ChronoSync to sync data between computers. Just please don't try to sync directly with a network volume. That's just a bag of hurt.

I'd still argue that better solutions exist, both for security 1Password.com accounts have the Secret Key to encrypt the data as well) and convenience (let's face it, manual sync options that require all of your devices being in the same place are not a great user experience), but it's your data so it's your call. Cheers! :)

• roustalski
    roustalski
    Community Member

I use Folder sync and have had zero problems, EXCEPT when I'm not on my home network. On my mac, I get these VERY VERY annoying popups, "There was a problem connecting to the server "...". I don't understand why the software can't just stop trying to connect after the first failure and try again upon next login rather than continually trying to sync?

Otherwise, I have multiple MACs and mobile devices (9+) all syncing to the same network share locally and it works great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@roustalski: You'd have to ask Apple. If I understand you correctly, that's macOS generating the errors because you're syncing not with a local folder, but with a network share. Don't. That isn't supported and can lead not just to annoying messages, but data loss. macOS just doesn't notify about network shares that go offline, so 1Password will (understandably) try to access it, and macOS will generate an error. Syncing with a folder that is actually local will be more reliable, and you can use rsync to keep it up to date between multiple computers.

This discussion has been closed.