I have the 1 Password6 (non-sub) Account & want to keep it & set up a separate Family Account

mrdawoudw
mrdawoudw
Community Member

I purchased last year a Family account through a Parallels bonus deal. I have not used it but I would like to use it for my family. I DO NOT want to stop using my MAC OS X 1Password 6 account.
What is the best way forward for this? Most of the family members have iPhones and Mac computers, one has an Android and/or PC. Again, I want to get the family using 1Password as I have a paid for a family account but I DO NOT want to stop using my 1Password 6 account.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.8.4
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@mrdawoudw: I'm not sure, but I think you may be referring to the standalone app you've been using with a license you purchased as an "account", but that's not the case. You will only have an account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com, etc. You can certainly continue using that, but I'm a bit unclear as to what you'e trying to accomplish.

Do you want to use standalone vaults and a 1Password.com account you setup with 1Password Families?

Or would you like to continue using 1Password by yourself and just let your family use accounts with each other?

If it's the second one, it would be best to let them setup 1Password Families, since it will need an Organizer. And if you're not using it at all, having you as the Organizer seems like a bit of a waste, and could be a liability (if you lose access or something bad happens to you, no one would be able to manage the account). Let me know what you're trying to do.

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@brenty. There seems to be an issue with terminology. I see it in many posts. Anyway...
    So I don't have an 'account' I have the what 'program', the App. Ok, I have the App 1P6 for OSX. I bought it thinking it was an App for families like multi-license. Nonetheless, as much as scenario 2 is closer to what I probably want, I'm sure I'll need to go with Scenario 1 to set things up, direct moderate etc.
    The thing is I don't want to have to forfeit my use of 1P6.
    I don't believe I have anything I need to 'share' access with the Fam, but maybe that will change.
    Also, in terms of losing access, I'm not opposed to giving a trusted family member access.
    That being said can you direct me to how to best set this up.
    Additionally, can you provide some links for Advanced uses of 1Password?
    Thanks a million.

• @mrdawoudw,

There seems to be an additional point of confusion...

The thing is I don't want to have to forfeit my use of 1P6.

That wouldn't happen if you were to be a part of a 1Password Families account. 1Password Families includes all of the 1Password apps. It includes 1Password 6 for Mac, 1Password 6 for Windows, 1Password 7 for iOS, and 1Password 6 for Android for each family member. All family members that are part of the account can use the latest versions of any of the 1Password apps on all of their compatible devices.

If that is your hesitation for switching to 1Password Families hopefully that alleviates that concern.

So I don't have an 'account' I have the what 'program', the App.

Correct. You'd have what we would call a "standalone license" vs an "account."

I don't believe I have anything I need to 'share' access with the Fam, but maybe that will change.

You don't have to share anything if you don't want to. There are a whole host of other benefits to being a part of the family membership beyond just sharing.

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

That being said can you direct me to how to best set this up.

I'd recommend starting here, with your own data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you decide to ultimately not be a part of the 1Password Families membership you can always move your data back to a standalone setup.

Additionally, can you provide some links for Advanced uses of 1Password?

I'm not sure what you mean by advanced, but our support site should help with whatever you're trying to accomplish. If there is something specific we can help with that isn't answered there please feel free to ask:

1Password Support

Thanks.

Ben

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@Ben
    Ok, I understood everything you wrote. My only question is this; Why do I need to 'move' my existing 1 Password data to a 1 Password account? From my limited understanding I don't need an 'account' I have everything I need with the app. I am merely trying to get/help family members benefit from your software.
    Lastly, what I meant by 'advanced' was 1Password Power User stuff.
    Thanks.

• You don't need to move your data, but that'll provide the best experience. It'll also give you exposure to using the service which I imagine would be monumentally helpful when helping your family members. :)

The only Power User feature I can think of off hand is the 1Password CLI. But it requires that your data be in a 1Password.com account. ;)

Download the 1Password Command Line Interface Public Beta — AgileBits Support Forum

Ben

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@Ben

Sorry if it seems I am being a pain in the ass but I still dont get what the emphasis is on moving data from this to that. Can you please provide me with some real-world examples or pluses of these benefits. Also, I am slightly confused by your comment regarding 'exposure to the service'
    Am I not already using 1Password, and is the Family account that significantly different to what I am doing right now? I am baffled.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Not at all! I think we're all having some difficulty here because you seem to have something very particular in mind that we're missing, and therefore when our answers don't apply to the specific use you're contemplating it's a bit confusing. I'm sorry about that. Just know that we're happy to answer any questions you have about 1Password! :blush:

I'll try to give you a bird's eye view. Maybe it helps to put it in the context of how you've been using 1Password up to now. For example, earlier you mentioned purchasing 1Password for Mac and using iCloud to sync your data. Purchasing 1Password for Mac is all well and good, and allows you to use 1Password on all of your Macs...but what about your other devices? In the past, the only option was to purchase 1Password separately for each platform: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android. And then if you want to sync your data, you need to set that up in 1Password on each device — to say nothing of the fact that iCloud is not available everywhere. It gets more complicated if you want to use and sync multiple vaults...and if your family members want to use 1Password as well, there's an additional cost when they purchase the app(s) too. It's good to have these options, but for most people it's very confusing. And, even though I'm not confused by any of this at this point, it can still be a hassle for me when I just want to setup 1Password on a new device and I have to go looking for license keys and configure sync settings just to get to where I can use it.

So the primary benefits of 1Password.com memberships in general — and 1Password Families in particular, since that includes all of these benefits for 5 family members at the base price — is that there is literally a single step to setting up 1Password on any device once you have your account: you sign in using your 1Password.com account credentials. That's it. That automatically populates all of your account's data in the app, whether you only use a single vault, you have more than one of your own, or you have some shared with your family as well. You can even access them all in your browser if you want to. That's what Ben meant when he said putting the data in your account provides the best experience: everything's there when you need it, with no additional setup needed; you just sign in. Similarly, if you setup a vault to share with your loved ones, it automatically shows up in their accounts when they sign in as well, without them having to do anything themselves. If that sounds like something you'd like to try, you just need to setup the main account yourself and migrate your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And then invite your family members so they can do the same:

Share 1Password with your family

So while an individual 1Password.com account is great because of how much easier it is to access you 1Password data across all of your devices, it's exponentially great to be able to do that in a family (or team) setting. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

I purchased a 1password family account some time back and finally decided to give it a try. When I tried to sign up it says the code is invalid.
    It is from a Parallels/Cleverbridge software package promo.
    How can I get this rectified?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrdawoudw: If the promo code has already been used or has expired, it will not work. Please shoot us an email at support@1password.com with the details and post the Support ID you receive here so we can look into it. Thanks in advance!

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@brenty. It has definitely NOT been used. Not sure how it could be expired as I paid for it, but I will send info to the support email as you suggested thanks.
    What is the procedure once I get it working, sign up using my current email that I use for 1 password app or use something new? thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@mrdawoudw: I don't have any way of knowing either way without more details, just thought I should mention the possible causes. I don't recall when the Parallels thing was exactly, but it was quite a long time ago, so that seems the most likely. Let's continue the conversation via email since it will inherently involve purchase details and other sensitive information. Looking forward to hearing from you!

ref: ANN-24855-968

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@brenty I sent an email before I responded to the last post but I have yet to see a response. let me know if you have not received it and i can resend it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@mrdawoudw: Thanks for letting me know you sent it! I thought you were going to tell me the Support ID when you sent it, but I was able to track it down here. I'll get back to you via email shortly. :)

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@brenty Oh, alright sorry about that. I guess I figured it would get to you automatically. Thanks for looking out. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrdawoudw: No worries! I've just replied to you there, so we should be able to get this squared away pretty easily. Cheers! :)

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

@brenty or @someone I am having a problem accessing my 1password Family account. I set it up logged in but did not download or save the Secret-Key/Emergency kit. Now I can no longer log back in. I sent an email and two tweets but so far NO RESPONSE. I cannot find a support page that deals with this issue. Please get back to me ASAP.

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member

Just in case you need this - #ANN-24855-968

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be clear, we cannot give anyone their account credentials, as we never have them. Only you ever have access to them, so it's important to keep them somewhere safe.

I just replied to you a bit ago, so I'll close this. Please get back to me via email. We try to respond to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis. I think that's fair, but I'm sorry if that means you have to wait as we reply to others first. Conversations in multiple places unfortunately also slows down the support process for everyone. :(

ref: ANN-24855-968

This discussion has been closed.