Migrating 20 member team from 1Password4 to teams

Options

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of transitioning my organization from 1Password4 to 1Password Teams. We have already experienced the 'pains' of doing this given the mixed device environment.
For example:
Windows has two different apps for the offline and cloud based databases and copying data between vaults seems laborious.
Mac has one integrated app that allows copying but offers no easy way to mount multiple offline databases.

So what I'm wondering:
-What should we be watching out for so as to avoid the avoidable headaches?
-What are your guidelines for doing this in the most streamlined and secure way? We would really like to avoid exporting data into an unencrypted format and then re-importing it

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member
    Options

A specifical example of what I'm worried about and hoping has been documented in some kind of substantive way by your team.

-The older offline version of one password allows for entires with multiple login names and passwords. What for example happens when you migrate something like this into the new cloud managed version of 1Password6? The newer version does not support multiple user name fields.

I have to imagine there are other examples like the one above. Anticipating these problems before they happen could save a lot of time and headaches.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Windows has two different apps for the offline and cloud based databases and copying data between vaults seems laborious.

@DariusR: How so? Or do you mean copying between both apps?

Mac has one integrated app that allows copying but offers no easy way to mount multiple offline databases.

1Password for Mac supports multiple local vaults. Did you mean something else?

So what I'm wondering:
    -What should we be watching out for so as to avoid the avoidable headaches?

Unless you're trying to maintain both local vaults and 1Password.com vaults, I'm not sure I follow where you're running into difficulty. Please let me know.

-What are your guidelines for doing this in the most streamlined and secure way? We would really like to avoid exporting data into an unencrypted format and then re-importing it

1Password 6 on both macOS and Windows both support importing data into 1Password.com directly from an existing local vault, so that's what I'd recommend:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That way you don't have to export to plaintext first.

A specifical example of what I'm worried about and hoping has been documented in some kind of substantive way by your team.
    -The older offline version of one password allows for entires with multiple login names and passwords. What for example happens when you migrate something like this into the new cloud managed version of 1Password6? The newer version does not support multiple user name fields.

No version of 1Password directly supports multiple usernames and passwords in a single item. However, you can save anything using custom fields, and also if you save a login on a webpage which has multiple username/password fields using the browser extension, 1Password will try to maintain that information when saving.

I have to imagine there are other examples like the one above. Anticipating these problems before they happen could save a lot of time and headaches.

I agree. be sure to let me know if you have any other questions, or clarifications! :)

This discussion has been closed.