All new login items default to personal vault and can't be moved.

Options

Trying to create a new login item in the app. Not from a web form, but in the app itself. Everything I create defaults to the Personal vault and is I cannot change that. I also cannot move the item from the Personal Vault to any other vault from the app.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the expected behavior?

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jboren: You can move items between vaults, provided you have more than one vault:

Move items between vaults

And if you want to create new items in a particular vault, you can always do that by switching to that vault first:

All Vaults: switch vaults

However, I'd encourage you to save new logins using the 1Password browser extension, as that will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for the help. It ended up being some weird thing going on on my machine. Had to close 1password app and re-open and log back in. Then all the normal options were available. Previously, when I'd right click an item, most of the options, including move and copy, were grayed-out. At the time, the Save new Login feature wasn't working either, nothing would happen when I clicked it. Problem solved, though. Thanks for the help.

Best regards,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, @jboren, and glad to hear things are full speed ahead now. I know it sounds like a cliché, but you would not believe how often a simple quit-and-restart or reboot of the device is all that's needed to clear up weird behavior. It's a cliché because of how often it really does work. Cheers!

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

OK, I think I hit a situation where part of the initial issue still exists. When I create a new non-login item, say a Server Item, I can't use the "Save new Login" feature because there's nothing to save. I have to manually populate all fields and this is where defaulting to the Personal vault is an issue with teams, because (at least in my experience) most items are created to be shared. So this requires me to create the item, save it, then go back and move it to the proper vault. It makes more sense to me to be able to pick the vault it is saved to during creation. I went thru the reboot/restart just to make sure it wasn't acting up again and that seems to be the default behavior. So I guess this is another feature request: Ability to choose Vault to save to during new Item creation.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jboren: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry to say that I don't completely follow you here, but if you'll break it down for me I'm sure I can help. I'll try to offer a few points here that may help in the mean time though:

• If you have All Vaults selected, a new item created in the app will be saved to the vault you have set in Preferences/Settings > All Vaults.
    • If you select a specific vault and then create a new item, it will be saved in that vault; All Vaults settings won't apply.

We can definitely consider adding a way to choose a vault when creating a new item, but for now it is implicit in what vault is selected when you created it (or All Vaults, and your preferences for that).

Anyway, let me know if that helps! :)

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    Options

Oh man, so I do techsupport all day, so I'm well familiar with the scenario where you walk up to a user with a problem and they try to show you and it just freaking works correctly and they can't recreate it. It still makes me nuts when it happens to me. Logged into 1password, click New Item -> Server and sure enough Vault is set to the one in preferences. I SWEAR yesterday no matter what I did it defaulted to Personal. Freaking computers, I probably should have gone into golf course maintenance instead of IT.

However, unless I STILL have something screwed up I can see room for a feature request. It would be super nice if when you are creating a new item if the row that shows what vault it is being created in was a drop-down where you could select any of the vaults you have create access to. Does that make sense or am I still being confusing? (it's kind of an unintentional hobby for me)

The fact that you can select the vault first and create there means it's not really a big deal, just another way of accomplishing the task of setting the vault the item is created in. I normally work out of All Vaults, so it just works better with my normal workflow, so obviously it's the most important thing in the world and should be implemented immediately!!!! :p

Thanks a ton for the help and putting up with me. :)

Best,
    Joe

• Ben
    Options

I probably should have gone into golf course maintenance instead of IT.

I know that feeling. :)

Does that make sense or am I still being confusing? (it's kind of an unintentional hobby for me)

LOL! Yes, that makes sense. I think it is a good and reasonable suggestion. I’ll be happy to pass it along to the team.

Thanks for the feedback, Joe. :+1:

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@jboren: When creating a new item, you should be able to see the currently selected vault in the upper left corner, but that may be something we can make clearer as well (not sure which version you're using). As we all get more and more vaults, I suspect we may add a way to select a destination from the new item template as well. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-5053

This discussion has been closed.