"Unable to communicate with the server" on new Android phone

csandbrook
csandbrook
Community Member

I have a new Samsung S8 phone. I have an existing 1password account on my old android phone and my PC. I've scanned all my info from my emergency kit and entered my master password, but when I submit I get the message "Unable to communicate with the server. Pleaes check your network connection and make sure the sign-in address is correct". I'm sure the sign-in address is right as it's entered automatically when I scan the emergency kit QR code. I'm also sure my network connection is working as everything else on the phone is working fine (apps, wi-fi, 4g). Any suggestions? I really need this to work or I can't access all my other apps!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@csandbrook: If you changed your account at some point and didn't update your Emergency Kit, it's possible that those credentials are not correct. Are you able to sign in using those in your web browser? The other possibility is that your credentials are not incorrect, but that the error is because a secure connection cannot be established. 1Password is very strict about this, where many (most?) other sites and apps will not complain, even if another party is performing a person-in-the-middle attack using a self-signed certificate or proxy. Do you have "security" software which might be interfering, or network restrictions on the device — maybe for work?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

Hello,
    I have a similar problem. On android the 1password fails syncing my passwords, saying "Unable to communicate with the server"... . But in chrome browser in android, it works just fine. I don't have any "security" software on my phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tschlompf: Is this happening on Wi-Fi, cellular, or both?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

Both.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tschlompf: Thanks for letting me know. Do you have VPN, proxy, or other network setup there that could be interfering? Also, if you use the same information to sign in, are you able to do so on the website in Chrome on that device?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

No VPN, proxy or other setups. And as I already said, it works und syncs fine in chrome browser on my phone, but just not in the app. Yesterday I tried to reinstall the app, and now I can't get into my account at all in the app. When I type in my master-password it gives me the same error-message "Unable to communicate with the server".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tschlompf: Thanks for clarifying. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to [email protected] and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#FDY-48492-262]

If you’re reading this and you are not Tschlompf, this Support ID is for Tschlompf only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: FDY-48492-262

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

But how can I create the diagnostic report when I can't login into the app anymore? There is no "help" button. Or should I create the report with chrome browser on my phone?

• Hi @Tschlompf. Can you provide a few details about your setup? What device and version of Android are you using, and what version of 1Password do you have installed? Are you using a home Wi-Fi network when connecting, or are you using cellular, or a network controlled by someone else? If you're connecting over Wi-Fi, can you try turning off Wi-Fi and using cell data instead?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

I have a Honor 6x with Android 7, I don't know where I can see the 1Password app version but I think it should be the newest one because (as I mentioned earlier) I tried to reinstall it and for that had to download it from the Play Store again. As I already said, I tried both cellular and Wi-Fi, and my network is not controlled by anyone else.
    As Brenty said, I should send you a diagnostic report, but the problem is that I can't do that in the app without being able to log in into it.

• Thanks @Tschlompf. Have you changed any of your account credentials, like your Master Password or Secret Key? How are you entering them into 1Password on Android? Are you scanning your Setup Code or typing all of them in? Also, does your Master Password contain any special characters (i.e. characters outside of the ASCII character set) or end in a space?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

No, I didn't change anything. My Master Password doesn't contain any special characters. As I already said, that isn't the problem, everythings works just fine in chrome on my phone, but the app can't "connect to the server". And I can't do a diagnostic report without logging in into the app.

• Can you let me know how you're entering your account credentials into 1Password on Android? You never mentioned whether you're typing them in, scanning your Setup Code, or copying and pasting.

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

When I start the app, I tap on "1Password.com". Then it shows me my account, "Tschlompf" and the email under it. When I tap on it it just asks me my Master-Password and I type it in, and then it says it can't reach the server. No scanning, no copying :)

• @Tschlompf Can you please email [email protected] from the email address you signed up for your account with? We'll look further into it.

Make sure to include a link to this thread so we can connect the dots. Thanks!

• bosseternal
    bosseternal
    Community Member

Hi Peri - we're running into the same issue trying to setup my wife's user on her new Android phone (Pixel 2, 8.1). Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tschlompf: Indeed, and please use the Support ID I gave you above so we can track it down and get back to you more quickly. Even without diagnostics, some information is better than nothing. However, have you tried entering all of the account credentials manually? The error message may be a red herring. If you made changes to your account the app won't have the correct information already anymore; you'll need to enter all of the current account credentials.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bosseternal: Are you entering your account credentials to sign in manually? Have you made any changes to your account (plan switch, Secret Key or Master Password change, etc.)?

• Tschlompf
    Tschlompf
    Community Member

I've send you an e-mail containing the Support ID now :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tschlompf: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. I'll get back to you shortly! :)

• bosseternal
    bosseternal
    Community Member

@brenty We used the QR code scan to load all the account details.
    Confirmed the Master Password worked by logging into the vault on her laptop (which we scanned the QR code from).
    Tried on Wifi & cellular only.
    No changes made to account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bosseternal: Please verify the account credentials when logged into the website, and enter those manually to sign into the app. I suspect you've got some outdated information in your saved QR code.

This discussion has been closed.