1Password on Facebook suggests changing root password [update: Apple has released a fix for this]

eccomarco
eccomarco
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Lounge

IPassword on Facebook suggests changing your root password on a Mac. Is this real? Why Do I only see this on Facebook? I searched for this suggestion on this site, without luck. Can I trust what I see on Facebook?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Facebook root

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There was a major bug in Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13 (but not in earlier versions of the OS, I think), which has been VERY widely reported. Fortunately Apple has fixed the bug. Best advice if you are running High Sierra (if not, don't worry) is to go to Software Update (which is in the first pane of About this Mac in the leftmost menu in all programs, the one with the apple icon) and use that to install the update.

I agree that it can be dangerous to follow advice, even from what seems like a genuine and good source. But one can always Google to see if the issue has been discussed elsewhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And just for clarification, Apple's security fix this issue will be automatically installed unless you've disabled that in the OS. And, at this point, that's probably already happened, so you won't see it listed as a new update, but below as installed: Security Update 2017-001. You may also see two listed, as the first was updated with a fix to a file sharing issue it caused. As long as there are no pending updated, you're good. Cheers! :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.