1P Mini fails to unlock after High Sierra clean install

Regent12
Regent12
Community Member

ISSUE:
After computer sleep, I cannot successfully unlock the keychain in browser(s): Safari, Chrome. Master PW is not accepted.
Workaround/Temporary Fix requires quitting main 1P app, reopen app, then unlock keychain in app.
Once unlocked via main app, browser extensions work.
This is repeatable, occurs every time.

I've deleted and re-installed extensions, and in Safari have tried both the downloaded Developer extension, and also the extension from the Gallery. Same issue occurs with both.

Background/Timing:
This began occurring after a recent full clean install of Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.1) on MacBook Pro 2015. Clean install needed for reasons not related to 1P. I reinstalled 1Password from a new download, then synced vault via Dropbox. Issue only arose after this full clean re-install.

I've submitted a bug report via email a few days ago... but would love some suggestions here!

Thanks!
Kellan

Excerpt from 1P mini logs, showing primary error(s):

Sun Dec 3 09:21:57 2017| 684001 [LOCKSERVICE:(Main Thread):OPKeychainUnlockService] E policyForEvaluation | Failed to evaluate for biometrics: Error Domain=com.apple.LocalAuthentication Code=-6 "Biometry is not available on this device." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Biometry is not available on this device.}
Sun Dec 3 09:22:00 2017| 684001 [CRYPTO:(Main Thread):] E decryptDataWithReader:writer:error: | Decryption failed, bad HMAC
Sun Dec 3 09:22:00 2017| 684001 [CRYPTO:(Main Thread):] E decrypt: | Decryption failed: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=506 "Decryption failed, bad HMAC" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Decryption failed, bad HMAC}
Sun Dec 3 09:22:07 2017| 684001 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7ff5d22debd0):] S listener:shouldAcceptNewConnection: | connection accepted
Sun Dec 3 09:22:09 2017| 684001 [LOCKSERVICE:(Secondary Thread 0x7ff5d264a850):OPKeychainUnlockService] E policyForEvaluation | Failed to evaluate for biometrics: Error Domain=com.apple.LocalAuthentication Code=-6 "Biometry is not available on this device." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Biometry is not available on this device.}

1Password Version: 6.8.4 (684001)
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Regent12: Thanks for getting in touch! That's really weird. The log entries you included show that 1Password is setup to request biometrics from macOS. Did you perhaps migrate data from another Mac? Also, are you able to unlock the main 1Password app successfully? It sounds like you're just having trouble in the browser, but I want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding. I'm also not seeing any emails from this address, so if you can post the Support ID you received I'd appreciate it! :)

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the response. Yep, it is certainly weird!!
    I did not migrate from another Mac (in past few years). I wasn't sure if the biometrics item was standard now... but this MacBook Pro is 2015, so no TouchID, etc. (I do use 1P on iOS on 2 other devices).

Good question to clarify about 'just browser' issue... I just tested now, attempting to unlock keychain in main 1P app (after overnight sleep), and was NOT able to unlock without quitting app, then reopening. So, the issue is NOT just in browser, it seems to be a keychain issue.

I have not yet tried any of the advanced troubleshooting steps, but I do have the 1P Troubleshooting app, from which I generated a report.

My bug report was probably sent from a different email than connected to this profile, sorry.
    Support ID: [#IAL-61849-643]

Thanks!

• @Regent12: I see one of our teammates has already found your report and touched base with you, so we'll continue this conversation via e-mail to avoid any confusion. Thanks for sending the diagnostics and hopefully we can get this resolved ASAP. :chuffed:

ref: IAL-61849-643

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks! We may have now resolved this issue via email support. I appreciate focusing the conversation in one place... and the excellent overall support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! That's great to hear! We'll follow up via email to make sure everything's squared away. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.