no secret key cannot solve problem with safari extension

Kirre54
Kirre54
Community Member

Hi support
I bought 1password years ago and it has worked fine until now.
I have a new MacBook Pro with High Sierra and wanted to install 1password as an extension on Safari.
However problems occurred and following the steps in your guide I finally end up in a need of my secret key, which I don't have.
So it is a closed loop...a "Catch 22" situation.
The problem is when I click on the installed 1password icon Safari cannot open because of displaying wrong adress
Please support!
br//Erik

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:no secret key, major problems

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Kirre54! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password just now. If you bought from us "years ago," you almost certainly have a standalone license and not a 1password.com account. Only 1Password accounts have - or need - a Secret Key.

In order to install 1Password on your new MacBook Pro, you just need to visit our downloads page and get a copy of the installer for the latest version (6.8.4). Run the installer, and when you launch 1Password for the first time, you'll be asked if you've used 1Password before (and if so, where is your data?). In the past, were you syncing your data via iCloud or Dropbox? You didn't mention which steps from our guide you followed; can you give us a bit more information about what's not working, and what you've tried? Thanks in advance.

• Kirre54
    Kirre54
    Community Member

Hi Lars (Scandinavian name?)
    And Thanks for a Quick respons.
    It works like charm with the link you provided!
    I obviously earlier tried to install 1Password mini before the basic programme.

Thanks a lot //Erik

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kirre54 -- Excellent! I'm glad to hear that worked for you. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. (And yes, I am 1/2 Norwegian. :) ).

• Kirre54
    Kirre54
    Community Member

Mange takk Lars :)

One more question if possible:
    I need to change my synch from Dropbox to iCloud in a short future. I have read in the forum that there might occur some problems.
    Which is the preferred process to do this operation
    / Erik

• Kirre54
    Kirre54
    Community Member

Must add that I have one MacBook Pro, two iPads and one iPhone ....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kirre54 - It shouldn't be THAT much of a problem, though there are several steps involved. The first of them is to make sure everything's already in sync via Dropbox before you change. Open 1Password on all devices and make sure everything has the same data. Then, on your Mac, go to Preferences > Backup and click Backup Now. This will give you a complete and up-to-date copy of your data, should anything go seriously wrong (not that we expect it to).

• Next, turn OFF syncing on all devices. On iOS, Sync > (VAULT NAME) > Sync Service > Disable Sync, on Mac: Preferences > Sync, then just switch the slider to None.
    • In 1Password for Mac, choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data, just in case there is any old data already in iCloud from a previous incarnation of 1Password.
    • Still on your Mac, switch the Sync slider to iCloud and give everything time to sync.
    • On your other devices, choose to sync your data with iCloud - you may be asked to merge the data on your phone with iCloud; accept this and proceed.

That should get you where you want to be, but if you have any questions or run into any difficulties, let us know!

This discussion has been closed.