To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to get new secret key

Options

I lost my secret key and I can't log in. My phone had to be wiped. I have the email and password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I recover my secret key? I had to have my phone wiped it was hacked.

Comments

• michael411917
    michael411917
    Community Member
    Options

How do I recover my secret key. I have email and password but can't get anywhere without the key. My phone was hacked and I had to have it wiped. On you web site it says recover secret key but when you go to it wants you to put in the secret key. I don't understand.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:How do I recover my secret key? I had to have my phone wiped it was hacked.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi @michael411917

AgileBits never knows your Secret Key and as such we cannot provide it for you. This guide may be of help, though:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Thanks!

Ben

• michael411917
    michael411917
    Community Member
    Options

This is the problem I have with this. It says to unlock 1 password to get to the secret key but to unlock it I need my secret key. The company issued a secret key to me in the beginning. They can't issue a new one? So I just lose all my information? This makes no sense to me at all.

• Ben
    Options

Correct, we cannot. The Secret Key is generated on your computer, not issued by us.

Your information is encrypted by both your Master Password (chosen by you), and your Secret Key (generated by your computer). Both are required to access your information. There is no other way to decrypt the data.

This is the reason we highly recommend printing an Emergency Kit after setting up your account:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

• michael411917
    michael411917
    Community Member
    Options

Ben I know this is not your fault. There has to be a better way . I know I am not the first person this happened to. I don't understand why you would have a find your secret code when you really can't find it. My fault for not keeping the key. So all my information is gone. What would you do at this point?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

@michael411917

Admittedly it is a really unfortunate situation to be in, and is a side-effect of the fact that we really have no way of accessing your data (normally a really good thing). If we had the ability to reset your Secret Key that would enable AgileBits Team Members to have half of your encryption keys, and that simply isn’t an acceptable position for us. It would essentially defeat the purpose of having Secret Keys.

I take it:

1) You don’t have your Emergency Kit
    2) You don’t have any devices that are signed into your account (did you check all of your web browsers?)
    3) You didn’t sign in to 1Password from the native 1Password app from any Macs or iOS devices that have iCloud Keychain enabled
    4) You’re on an individual plan, or you are on a 1Password Families plan but are the only Family Organizer

If all of those are true then unfortunately it does seem likely you’ve lost access to your data, with no way to recover. Really the only thing that can be done at this point is to delete the account and start over. That is a process that needs to be handled via email. We cannot do it here in the forums. If you need to go that route please send us a message to support@1password.com and include a link to this thread in your email:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84721/

Once you’ve sent the email you’ll get an automated reply back from BitBot with a Support ID. Please post that ID here.

It doesn’t help you here now, but we are looking into how we can continue to maintain the same level of security we have, whereby no AgileBits Team Member can ever access any of your 1Password data, while doing a better job of helping customers be sure that they have the essential bits of info needed to log in. That said this is not and will never be the kind of service where you can simply click on a “forgot password?” link and have a new one emailed to you. At the end of the day it will always be your responsibility to have your Secret Key and Master Password.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: LTV-69532-835

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Closing this in favour of continuing via email for account security.

This discussion has been closed.