1password for Mac update: Validation Failed: The operation couldn't be completed.

mrengy
mrengy
Community Member

I am trying to update 1Password from within the Mac app, and I am getting endless options to "Try Again", but trying again always eventually fails with OSStatus error -67688. See screen recording: https://screencast.com/t/JWPGqDfAvze . I've tried quitting 1Password, but I got the same result whether 1Password was running or not.

I don't want to restart my computer at the moment since I don't want to disrupt an initial sync of my photo library, but I can try that next. Let me know if there's some other resolution for this.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mrengy,

Sorry you're having trouble updating 1Password with the built-in updater. Here's how can manually remove 1Password and install the latest version:

1. Open the Finder and go to the Applications folder.
    2. Drag 1Password 6 from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an “app cleaner” or “uninstaller” tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Download and install the latest version of 1Password from our website. Do not install 1Password from the Mac App Store.

I don't want to restart my computer at the moment since I don't want to disrupt an initial sync of my photo library, but I can try that next.

You could try skipping 3 above, although we do recommend restarting your Mac as part of this process.

Let us know if you have any further trouble with updating and we'll be happy to help. Enjoy your weekend! :)

• mrengy
    mrengy
    Community Member

Thanks. What are my chances of losing my vault data if I do this? I am syncing using Dropbox, though it's currently not syncing between my iPhone and my Mac (not sure if the problem is with my Mac app or my iPhone app, hence why I am trying to upgrade in the first place).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrengy: If you do NOT use a "cleaner" app, the chances of an update or reinstall of the 1Password app have zero chance of causing data loss. Your data is stored separately, so something else — you or other software — would have to do something to the data in order for anything bad to happen to it (apart from a hardware failure, of course). Always backup your data offsite either way though. Having a copy of your data stored in Dropbox is nice, but that is not a backup since it sync changes — including file deletion. Better safe than sorry!

This discussion has been closed.