Long-time customer has no way to recover data from dropbox sync/ dropbox backup

nora
nora
Community Member

Hello,

I recently did a clean install of Mac OS Sierra on my MacBook Pro as such I needed to reinstall 1Password.

Your company has provide no applicable help articles on how to restore data from Dropbox in 1Password 6 (current version) when installing a new on a new MacBook.

As such, I am angry. This lack of informative relevant to your longterm user base is evidence that you don't actually respect your customers data or time. I find it disrespectful that after paying for software licenses, and yearly subscriptions you cannot provide necessary steps for people to restore their sensitive data. I should be a simple process. Not a nightmare that takes HOURS and money to no AVAIL

I have spent HOURS reviewing pointless videos, and help articles that push your new subscription model (which I happily bought anyway to try and get my data...) but none of the steps are actually applicable to anyone installing a current version of 1Password on a MacBook with a Dropbox backup.

Can someone please provide applicable steps ?

Here are the steps I have taken so far:

I downloaded the 1Password application and tried to transfer my data via dropbox using the instructions here:
https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

However there is no "Sync" icon in the 1Password Preference panel, so I cannot complete this process. How can I get my data from dropbox to this new macBook install?

Next, I try the subscription model, actually I was forced too after being locked out of my account. (thanks).

I follow the steps here https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

But these steps don't work. I already have an account. I get an error that I can't add an account that I already have.

Yeah, so okay, I have my account. I have paid in full for your subscription one year in advance. I have my data backed up in Dropbox and I have made an additional vault backup on my personal Android phone in the local storage of the phone.

Can someone please just give me some clear steps to follow that actually apply to my use case and allow be restore my data?

I was happy to pay for your subscription. I just want this to actually work.

Please help, I really need my data and I have already sunk 5+ hours trying to get this to work.

Glad you got my money. Can I have my data please ? This is a nightmare.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nora: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We do not have your data. You've setup 1Password, not with your existing Dropbox data, as you seem to be saying you were trying to:

But using a 1Password.com account instead. Unfortunately 1Password (and our documentation) can only follow your lead. But this is easily remedied. If you'd like to use your existing data in Dropbox, please do the following:

1. Lock 1Password if it is unlocked
    2. Reset 1Password (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data)
    3. Setup 1Password using your existing Dropbox data (pictured above)

At this point, you'll be back up and running. If you'd prefer to continue using 1Password without an account and sync your data between devices yourself, you're done. If, however, you'd like to take advantage of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, you just need to follow this guide to migrate your data to your account and remove the Primary vault (you'll still have that in Dropbox, should you ever need it):

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope this helps. Either way, be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• nora
    nora
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you very much for your quick response. Posting in the forums is definitely the way to go.
    I was able to sync with dropbox and get my data. I feel foolish, that this was so confusing... but it was !

I think the issue is that when I first installed the program I just entered in my password, and secret key... thinking I would be have dropbox sync option later. I didn't realize the account i created was disassociated from my prior vault/data.

May i suggest making a help article- one specifically for people who need to do the Dropbox sync from a fresh install along with some troubleshooting steps? Its really confusing/frustrating to follow the help links for general dropbox sync but find the instructions outdated/not applicable.

I really do like your product & want it to be easy for ppl and I hope this is useful feedback.
    Apologies for the frustration in my prior post. Hopefully this helps someone who made the same mistake I did.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@brenty Thank you very much for your quick response. Posting in the forums is definitely the way to go.

@nora: You're very welcome! I'm glad if I can help in some small way. :chuffed:

I was able to sync with dropbox and get my data. I feel foolish, that this was so confusing... but it was !

Awesome! No need to feel foolish. 1Password isn't perfect, and neither are any of us! I've definitely gotten myself into some weird situations, thinking I knew what I was doing and clicking the wrong thing. I think that our design there is good...but nevertheless it can throw you off if you're used to and/or expecting something different. So that's on us for changing things around a bit, not you. Sorry about that. :blush:

I think the issue is that when I first installed the program I just entered in my password, and secret key... thinking I would be have dropbox sync option later. I didn't realize the account i created was disassociated from my prior vault/data.

That makes sense. It would have been much easier for us to make 1Password.com accounts the only way going forward, as we do believe they're the best option and having more than one can be confusing...but at the same time we don't want to take anything away from you and others who've been using the standalone app happily. I apologize that in trying to accommodate you we got you mixed up there.

May i suggest making a help article- one specifically for people who need to do the Dropbox sync from a fresh install along with some troubleshooting steps? Its really confusing/frustrating to follow the help links for general dropbox sync but find the instructions outdated/not applicable.

Thanks for the feedback! It's something we'll consider. The challenge is that when the app is setup with a 1Password.com account, we don't want to make things confusing by having sync options that don't apply there. We'll continue to refine the app and the documentation to hopefully find a happy medium.

I really do like your product & want it to be easy for ppl and I hope this is useful feedback. Apologies for the frustration in my prior post. Hopefully this helps someone who made the same mistake I did.

No worries, you did exactly the right thing by reaching out. And I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts on this to help others — and to help us help others better — in the future. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.