1 PW didn't lock

tommy
tommy
Community Member

I disconnected my computer to go to a meeting, I closed it. Opened it at the meeting, turned my browser off before leaving home
Came home reconnected, opened browser and 1pw was still on
I put my computer to sleep by selecting sleep in the apple menu and then woke the Mac up, 1 pw was locked

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I disconnected my computer to go to a meeting, I closed it. Opened it at the meeting, turned my browser off before leaving home Came home reconnected, opened browser and 1pw was still on I put my computer to sleep by selecting sleep in the apple menu and then woke the Mac up, 1 pw was locked

@tommy: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to say that I don't understand your message though. Can you tell me what you need help with?

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

@brenty I don't need any help, really. I was just surprised that closing the lid on my computer and then driving for about 15 mins before reopening, using the computer with the browser closed, closing the lid again, driving for another 15 mins and 1pw hadn't locked. Believe that is a serious glitch

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@tommy I can see why you'd think that, and whether or not it's a "glitch," you may definitely consider it a security gap that you want to close. If you look in Preferences > Security in 1Password for Mac, you'll see a host of adjustments you can make regarding under what circumstances 1Password should lock itself. These also - to some degree - interface with your system settings. For example, in the case of sleep, you can set 1Password to lock when your Mac sleeps...but the actual definition of when your Mac is sleeping resides with the settings you choose in System Preferences > Energy Saver. If you've checked the button that says "Prevent Computer from sleeping when the display is off," then simply closing the lid may not give you the results you expect. However, between System Preferences and the 1Password security Preferences, you can usually get your copy of 1Password behaving as you prefer. Let us know if you have any problems! :)

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

Thanks, @Lars. The energy saver preference pane has "prevent computer from sleeping when the display is off" unchecked and the 1pw Preference > Security says "Lock after computer is idle for 5 minutes" On that page the only setting unchecked is "Lock when Main Window is closed"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@tommy: Ah, I see. You said "and then woke the Mac up, 1 pw was locked", but I guess you meant "un locked". Thank you for clarifying! So, without more details it's hard to say, but a couple things come to mind here:

• Your computer thought it was still connected when you took it to the meeting.
    • Something on your computer was keeping it active for some reason.
    • Both, or something else similar.

If you can tell me the exact steps you took, I can try to reproduce it. But based on your settings it would be fairly easy to keep 1Password unlocked (e.g. "idle" means no activity, and "prevent computer from sleeping" would also prevent 1Password from locking on sleep). You can always lock 1Password at any time by pressing ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L, and an easy test you can do to see if you have things running in the background which might keep 1Password from locking is setting the timer to 1 minute and just watch for 61 seconds. I actually get hit with the auto-lock timer a lot when I'm in front of my computer reading for a while, since there's no actual activity in that case. Let me know what you find!

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

@brenty Just to be clear, I didn't mean unlocked. My complaint was that 1pw didn't lock after closing the lid, no activity for more than 15 minutes. Just to be sure, I put it to sleep and it locked, I was reading on my iPad and it locked. It may have been a one time problem. I wanted to bring it to your attention because that is not the way I expect 1pw to behave.
    So my steps were, unplug the computer, quit most apps including the browser and just leave the one I wanted for the meeting open, close the lid, after 15 or more minutes open the lid, read some pdfs during a one hour meeting, close the lid, drive for some 15 minutes. reconnect the computer, open the lid and voilà, 1pw was still open!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tommy: I'm sorry then, I really just don't understand. This statement seems contradictory:

I didn't mean unlocked. My complaint was that 1pw didn't lock after closing the lid, no activity for more than 15 minutes.

Just to clarify, was 1Password locked or unlocked at the end here?

Came home reconnected, opened browser and 1pw was still on I put my computer to sleep by selecting sleep in the apple menu and then woke the Mac up, 1 pw was locked

If you mean that the 1Password app was still running, that is expected. It should only not be if you quit it completely, and macOS should launch it again by default when you login to your user account. I'm just not sure at this point how you're saying 1Password is behaving, and how you would like it to behave. :blush:

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

I believe 1pw should be locked and should require the master password if there is no activity in a short period of time or if my computer goes to sleep. If I am using my computer I can see and accept 1pw to stay unlocked. If I am not using it I am concerned that 1pw would not have locked after one hour or more. If running means all I have to do is insert my master password, that is okay. If all I have to do is search or insert a password after no activity, I believe that is not okay

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I believe 1pw should be locked and should require the master password if there is no activity in a short period of time or if my computer goes to sleep.

@tommy: We're in agreement there. That's how 1Password works with the default settings. Be sure to configure Preferences > Security depending on your needs.

If I am using my computer I can see and accept 1pw to stay unlocked. If I am not using it I am concerned that 1pw would not have locked after one hour or more. If running means all I have to do is insert my master password, that is okay. If all I have to do is search or insert a password after no activity, I believe that is not okay

Yep! That's why we recommend using as strict security settings as possible, appropriate to your situation. For example, I have 1Password lock in every case except when I close the window, since I often use 1Password mini. But if screensaver or sleep kicks in, or I switch user accounts, 1Password locks. It's all about finding the right balance for your workflow. Cheers! :)

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

@brenty I'm sorry but I'm not satisfied. I don't know what else I can set to make sure 1Password locks in a situation such as the one I encountered. I believe this is an unfortunate bug

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tommy: As I mentioned earlier,

If you can tell me the exact steps you took, I can try to reproduce it.

Without more details I'm just going based on what you have already told me. Also, you never answered when I asked,

Just to clarify, was 1Password locked or unlocked at the end here?

I'd love to leave you satisfied, but unfortunately without being able to reproduce what you're describing in any way this is the best I can offer you: here's how 1Password works and why, as well as some recommendations on how you can tweak your settings to better match your expectations. Let me know if there's anything else I need to consider.

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

It was unlocked when I closed the lid of my computer. It was still unlocked more than an hour later

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@tommy: 1Password doens't have a setting to lock when you close the lid. Detecting that isn't reliable, and again, it depends on how you have things setup. For example, if you have 1Password set to lock on sleep, if your computer didn't go to sleep when you closed the lid, that will have no bearing on 1Password. So I'd appreciate it if you would tell me the exact settings and steps involved here, since going on what you've told us already hasn't allowed us to reproduce this. And if you're able to reproduce the issue yourself, please do so and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com Let me know once you've sent it. Thanks in advance!

ref: RGY-87927-539

• Hi @tommy,

We received your report, but for the benefit of others here, I'll post a tip here as it's not specific to your setup. It sounds like the computer has something running that is preventing the Mac from going to sleep. I experienced this issue myself recently. To find out what, go to /Applications/Utilities and open the Activity Monitory.

Then, click on the Energy tab and click the Preventing Sleep column to sort by that. Look for any Yes' in that column and that should tell you what was the culprit. Try restarting whatever app was preventing sleep and see if the issue goes away.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member

@ag_kevin
    You are right. Boom 2 was preventing sleep. I emailed them and will see what they say
    Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for letting us know! I used to use Boom but haven't for a while now. I can't think of why it would prevent sleep, but I'd be interested to hear what you find. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.