Easier moving of Documents [feature request]

Comments

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@Ben thanks that you offer this EU and CA option. I did that migration too. The migration is quite easy via the Apps. But the Documents ... It would be really nice if you improve the document handling. you cannot migrate them in the app. If you have PDF you cannot simply download them, you have to twiddle in the var folders and upload everything again. I would be happy if you rework the way how you handle documents (Migrate, Export , Import, Batches of Docs)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@telephoneman what do you mean by "you cannot migrate them in the app"? Can't you just select them all in the Documents view and choose to copy/move them?

• Thanks for the feedback, @Manaburner. Documents are still a (relatively) young feature and we do hope to continue to improve them so they are more user friendly and useful.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @Ben I guess you were talking to @telephoneman and not me :)

• Whoops! Yes, sorry about that. Your avatars are too similar! :wink:

Ben

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@Manaburner no docs are not possible to migrate within the app - if you don’t have them outside of 1Password you need to get it out of 1Password on local disc and re upload them to the other vault - the app offers that Option but either nothing happens or is canceled with an error message. And if you want to download them you need to download them either access the temporary file directory or if it’s pdf open it and click in preview „save as“ - already complained about that and asked for a simpler download doc feature from 1Password but they said it’s for security reason ... (i Love 1Password apart the way they handle documents)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: I'm not sure I follow. Certainly Documents are not automatically downloaded all at once, but you can select them all and right-click to download them all at once. You should then be able to easily move them between vaults. As Ben mentioned, we'll be making them even easier to work with over time, but that should help for now at least. :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@brenty no that didn’t worked. Select doc, click download and then right click move new vault is not working. Had to get them out of 1Password app and reupload again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Can you tell me which version you're using then? It sounds like something that needs to be addressed.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

@Brenty I am using 6.8.4 (It works moving within the same 1Password account) But if you try to move a doc to a vault in another 1password cloud account or the Primary vault (iCloud Synced) - nope. Doesn't work. It just doesn't do it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Right, Documents do not exist in the legacy local vault formats; those have always used attachments, which are part of existing items. Documents are a new feature we created for 1Password accounts. This discussion is about moving from one 1Password account to another (1Password.com to 1Password.ca, for example). I'm sorry for the confusion.

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@brenty yes exactly. And in combination of uncomfortable ways to export docs to local disc that’s no fun

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Thanks for confirming. I'll split this off into a separate discussion since this is unrelated to migrating between 1Password servers, but please let me know if you have specific requests as far as Document handling and I'll be happy to pass them along to the team. We're not going to design around using both local vaults and 1Password.com accounts together, as that isn't a common use case, but but if you'll give me a better sense of what you're trying to accomplish maybe there are other ways we can help in the future. :)

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@benty well simple- I can easily drag and drop a PDF into 1Password. And I am missing a simple - drag it out if the App back to local disc or download to local. If its a PDF - the "Show on local disk option" doesn't appear. There is no way to find the storage folder from out of the app of local copy. Only chance is google around about where to find the folder on hard drive or open it in preview and say "Save as" document by document. No fun

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@telephoneman - ah, gotcha. In fact, this is an issue we have open right now. I'm experiencing this same unusual behavior myself, though not all of us here are. It's limited to 1password.com vaults, and we're not entirely sure about the cause of it just now. You should be able to click on the drop-down arrow and get the menu of options, but for certain common file-types (jpg, png, pdf) of documents in 1password.com vaults, clicking the drop-down arrow just activates Quick Look instead. Is this the issue you're referencing?

ref: OPM-5445

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

@Lars yes exactly - I thought that works like designed - cause on another thread someone told me to use the „save as“ feature in quick look

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think we're talking about two different things, but they're in the same ballpark. It's an area we're working on, both to address the bug Lars mentioned and to improve it overall as well. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.