Password not accepted on Mac, works fine on phone

laurajoy
laurajoy
Community Member

I tried to unlock 1Password on my laptop and it froze mid-typing. After I forced quit and restarted, it wouldn't accept my password - or any other password for my team.

I can unlock 1Password on my phone just fine, using my main password.

What do I do to get 1Password working on my laptop again?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS High Sierra 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@laurajoy -- sorry to hear about the trouble! If you've been a 1Password user for a few years, you may have a situation where you have both local (standalone) vaults and a 1password.com account. Is this possible? 1Password will never (indeed, cannot) simply change your Master Password to something new, but if you used a different Master Password on your older standalone vaults than you chose when you created a 1password.com account, you may have two different Master Passwords, and that might explain the reason your Master Password is not being accepted.

If that doesn't apply to you, then please try the troubleshooting steps found here to see if you can get back into your 1Password data on your Mac. If none of that works, let us know. Do you have access to all your 1Password data on your phone?

• laurajoy
    laurajoy
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I did have a local vault and a 1password.com account - both with the same master password, though! I never did figure out why my master password wasn't being accepted on my Mac. But I went ahead and erased my local data, then signed into the team account, and now my master password works again. So, something worked! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@laurajoy -- I'm glad to hear you got things working again! But I'm a bit concerned about the steps you said you took -- you deleted the local data from your Primary vault on your Mac? Did you restore it from sync via your phone later? Or do you no longer need that data? Are you just using only the 1password.com account vaults on your Mac now?

• laurajoy
    laurajoy
    Community Member

I restored my data from the iCloud backup, which included both my primary vault as well as all the team vault. It looks like everything is there! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be clear, only the Primary vault can be sync'd with iCloud, so that won't include 1Password.com account vaults either. I'm glad to hear you were able to get things setup, but we're here if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.