The effect of selecting one category (e.g. Secure Note) rather than another (e.g. Identity)

anmcl
anmcl
Community Member

Choice of category for new items matters a lot, but I don't fully understand how. Depending on the category (e.g. Secure Note vs. Identity), 1Password will change the names of my fields to fit what it thinks my data requires. This is disconcerting behavior, and I want to know how to control it. I’m not losing the contents of my fields, but I am losing the names I have assigned to my fields. Please help. Not every use I want to make of 1Password fits neatly into one category or another. I can't find the answer on your website. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:categories

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@anmcl: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The categories, for the most part, are cosmetic, as far as being templates for things commonly stored in 1Password. However, there are three important exceptions:

• Logins: Used to fill usernames and passwords on websites using the 1Password browser extension
    • Credit Cards: Used for filling payment information on websites
    • Identities: Used for filling personal information on websites

So, for those three specific uses, you'll want to use the appreciate item type. Otherwise, it's entirely up to you how you categories things. Those are the only cases where it matters functionally.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "1Password will change the names of my fields to fit what it thinks my data requires". 1Password doesn't change your data. There are preset templates, but you can also add your own custom fields. Just keep in mind that these are organizational and not functional — i.e. if you make up your own "credit card" fields, these will not fill; 1Password uses the predefined fields it knows for filling.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.