registering for website access - setup login info

enstorms
enstorms
Community Member

Guess I really don't understand the process for getting 1Password to offer to save login data. In process of registering, I enter a username then need to enter a password and re-enter it. So I used the password generator to generate it, selected "Copy" and try to paste, but it enters nothing. The only way I can get it to enter is by choosing "Fill", which it does. However I have no idea what the password was. This has happened twice. I have to enter username (which I can remember) Then select "Forgot password". Any help in explaining how you go about setting up a new login. I know if I would enter a made up by me password, it would probably offer to save it. Then I would have go back and have 1Password generate a new one. Surely there is an easier way of doing this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@enstorms: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble there! It sounds like the website is preventing you from copying into the password field. That happens to me most often with bank websites which make me manually enter routing and account numbers, but I've seen it with passwords too.

It sounds like you also had trouble saving a login for the website, but if you used 1Password to fill the generated password, it will have saved it as a Password item in your vault as a safety net:

If you used the password generator and can’t find the password to sign in

So that can help you get into the account without having to do a password reset. And when in doubt, you can always save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• enstorms
    enstorms
    Community Member

Thanks for all this info. Yes this was a new bank website I was setting up.
    I was going to tell you I couldn't find the Password Category, but then thought to look in the Personal vault and there they were. That is good to know. I will try to absorb all of this and hopefully remember the next time I attempt it.
    Thanks so much for your help. I am a former Roboform user for many years and have just recently moved to 1PW. Like it very much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Likewise, thanks for choosing 1Password! It can definitely be a bit of a challenge getting used to something different. I'm glad that helped, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all. We're here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.