Automatically show last open record in Mini

Options
vitalyb
vitalyb
Community Member

When I open 1Password Mini and choose to copy a username, it automatically closes. So if I want to copy the password also, I have to reopen it, again search for the record I opened last and copy the password.

Is there a way to have the last record automatically shown? Or use something like the "Up" key to bring back the last shown record?

I know that I can "Anchor" the record, but I don't want to do that every time I want to copy username and password.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Automatically show last open record in Mini

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @vitalyb! At the moment, there is no way to accomplish what you're looking for directly, without an additional step. Once you select an item in 1Password mini, you can use the ⌘O (Command-O) keyboard shortcut to anchor that window, but that's no different than clicking on the anchor button, which is what you said you don't want to do.

Beyond anchoring the window, there isn't a handy way to recall the search results you recently entered. This is intentional; because 1Password is a security and privacy application, we focus on making sure you have as little data exposed as possible. Can I ask: is there a reason you're not using Go & Fill to fill both username and password, instead of using Copy/Paste?

• vitalyb
    vitalyb
    Community Member
    Options

It is an issue in several scenarios:

• If there are multiple fields (more than user/password) that 1Password doesn't fill
    • If I need it to work in external, non-browser application.

I guess I could use an anchored password window. My issue with them is that while I can navigate the regular, non-anchored with a keyboard, the anchored windows work only with a mouse: I can't focus on them with a keyboard, I can't tab between fields to copy them and I can't close them in any way using a keyboard. That's quite an inconsistent behavior :(

So I guess there are 2 feature requests here:
    1) Enable me to show the last record in 1Password Mini somehow (e.g using the Up key when I am on the Search input box)
    2) Enable keyboard control of the anchored (floating) login Windows: Focusing on them, switching between fields, copying and closing them - Just like the way it works in the regular Mini menus.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vitalyb: Ah, good point. Indeed, 1Password mini is much better for keyboard jockeys. The anchored windows are great, but floating windows like that in macOS are not available for keyboard focus. We can't have our cake and eat it too there. ;)

We actually had persistent searches in 1Password mini very briefly, and while some people really liked this, the overwhelming majority of testers found it tested their patience. We'd definitely like to do something along those lines in the future, but I'm not sure what form that will take. It needs to be useful without getting in people's way. Thanks for bringing this up!

• tomst
    tomst
    Community Member
    Options

Can we have a setting at least?

• Ben
    Options

There is generally a fairly high bar for adding settings / preferences (e.g. we have to assume at least X% of 1Password users would toggle the setting from the default). We have good reason for this: if you search for "add a preference" on this forum you can probably get a pretty good idea of why. There are a huge amount of requests for different preferences. If we added them all the preference pane wouldn't fit on the screen. This adds a huge amount of complexity to the app, both from a development perspective (building and maintaining) as well as from a user perspective.

That said, we can certainly evaluate if this one meets that bar. We'll keep an ear out for requests like this one and see what comes of it.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.