Restoring from Backup - Where is the .1p4_zip file?

davide_c
davide_c
Community Member

After a hard drive failure, I am trying to return to normal life. I have installed 1Password from the App Store on the new Mac, and when starting the new version of 1Password, I selected "Restore from Backup". I have, fortunately, an up-to-date Time Machine backup of the old computer.

Alas, I cannot find the .1p4_zip file that 1Password is asking. Where is it located?

I looked for it in

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword4.safariextensioncompanion

and

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepasswordnativemessaginghost

but could not find it. Where should I be looking for it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @davide_c,

That should be under ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

The files are named with dates/times that the backups were done as well as number of vaults they contain to help you find the right one.

Rick

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

Hi @rickfillion

thanks for your answer. No, it's not there. But I found it! Finally...

It is under

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

and indeed, as you say, there are several files all named with dates and times. Phew! There we go. Thanks again. Hope this will help other users.

• @davide_c : ah yes. You mentioned the App Store, so I gave you the location of where it would be had you been using the App Store version of the app. Where you found it indicates that you were using 1Password from our website and not from the App Store.

Rick

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

Yes! Sorry, should have been clearer.

I downloaded the current version, the one on the new computer, from the App Store.

The old version (whose files I was trying to recover) was installed from your website directly. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davide_c - Were you able to get your data successfully restored inside 1Password? That's the main concern. It sounds as if you were, I'm just checking to be thorough.

One other thing: we don't have a preference whether you use 1Password from our website or from the Mac App Store, but it does matter where you purchased from. If you originally bought 1Password for Mac directly from us, you won't be able to use the Mac App Store version unless you also purchased from there at one time (or you're using a 1password.com account). Is there a reason you downloaded from the Mac App Store this time instead of from us?

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

@Lars - thanks for checking back.

Indeed, I was inconsistent there (first buying directly from you, and then downloading from the App Store), and that is causing me problems now.

Specifically:

• I downloaded the app from the App Store now, after my hard drive failure on the old computer, to get the app quickly and keep working.

• But now I realize that, while I was able to retrieve the .1p4_zip file from the Time Machine and load it unto 1Password, now 1Password keeps telling me that it is in "read only" mode and I should purchase it.

(while in fact, I had purchased a permanent standalone license in 2014)

How can I fix this? Thanks.

• @davide_c: the solution to that:

• keep your 1p4_zip backup file
    • use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data... menu option to clear everything you've done with the Mac App Store version of the app
    • Delete the app
    • Download/install 1Password from our website
    • Restore from your backup file again

There's unfortunately no way to convince a Mac App Store version of the app that you've purchased 1Password when you've purchased the license for the version from our website.

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Thank you, @rickfillion

So I tried to follow your steps, but...

• the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data... menu option is not available in this read-only version of 1Password (it's grey)

No major problem, I just skipped this step. More importantly, though...

• Where can I download 1Password from your website without setting up an account and having to choose a plan with monthly payments?

Whenever I end up on your website, I always have to choose a monthly plan. But I had bought a perpetual license!

• rickfillion
    edited December 2017

the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data... menu option is not available in this read-only version of 1Password (it's grey)

Sorry, I forgot a step. You needed to lock 1Password first.

Whenever I end up on your website, I always have to choose a monthly plan

That should only show up if you choose to start a trial. If you select one of the other options below that (under Already used 1Password?), it should let you restore from your backup.

The license that you have is indeed valid for the version of the app that you've downloaded from our website. Once you've restored your backup either it'll detect the license from inside of your vault, or you'll be able to restore the license afterwards.

Rick

ref: HAA-15739-982

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

Hi @rickfillion - thanks again. I did as you suggest.

Once you've restored your backup either it'll detect the license from inside of your vault, or you'll be able to restore the license afterwards.

I'm exactly in that situation, I downloaded from your website, restored the backup, but now 1Password tells me that my license has expired. How do I "restore the license" now?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davide_c - I've sent you a quick email that should help with your licenses. You can double-click any link that says "Click here to apply your 1Password license" and that should license 1Password for you. Alternatively, you can go the the 1Password menu item, then "License" and do it manually. Let us know if you run into any problems. :)

• davide_c
    davide_c
    Community Member

@Lars - marvelous, thanks. Worked like a charm. Now everything is back in place. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@davide_c - you're quite welcome! Glad to hear you're all set -- have a great rest of your week. :)

This discussion has been closed.