Installing 1Password 6 for Mac with OS 10.13.1 using 1Password.agilechain from 1Password 3 for Mac

drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

I am a licensed user of 1Password 3 for Mac purchased in October 2011. I use it with Firefox and Safari extensions on iMac and MacBook Air form 2011. 1Password.agilekeychain file is in Dropbox folder. I have not upgraded Mac OS until now because of the legacy software that I am used to and because I was very satisfied with the performance and the features of my current set up. But for the same reasons, I could not upgrade 1Password 3 and could not upgrade Firefox beyond v.39.0.3 because of the issues with the 1Password extension in the higher versions of Firefox.

Now, when Dropbox is dropping the support for my v. of Mac OS, iCloud not available and I am beginning to experience the issues with support on some other web sites, I purchased the latest MacBook Air with Mac OS 10.13.1 High Sierra. I am trying to reproduce my current setup and functionality with the latest compatible versions of the software including 1Password without synchronizing the new laptop, i.e. I will continue to use my old hardware until I confirm the availability, functionality and compatibility of upgraded programs with the new system. Here are my questions re. 1Password upgrade.

1. Considering that High Sierra was only recently released (in fact I had to upgrade OS from 10.12 to 10.13 on the laptop that I bought only 2 weeks ago), are the latest versions of 1Password for Mac and extensions for Firefox 57.0.1/Safari 11.0.1 fully compatible or still buggy?
  2. Is there an upgrade pass from my iPassword 3 for Mac license to current 1Password for Mac 6 or I need to purchase a new license? I prefer to own the license and to synchronize the data myself when ready using Dropbox rather than to sign up for now available account.
  3. Is there still 1 month free trial? And if I experience problems that can not be resolved, is there an option to cleanly uninstall 1Password, browser extensions and any related files?
  4. And most important, I will not be using Dropbox to synchronize the files including 1Password. Can I transfer a copy of my current 1Password.agilekeychain file generated by 1Password 3 and now located in Dropbox folders on both of my older Macs to the new MacBook Air with High Sierra, where would I put it and would it work or automatically converted by new 1Password 6 once I install it (like the upgrade from 1Password 2 to 1Password 3)? Do I need to transfer any other 1Password 3 files that I do not know about?

Thank you

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS 10.6.8
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @drlevbk! I'll try to take your questions in order:

are the latest versions of 1Password for Mac and extensions for Firefox 57.0.1/Safari 11.0.1 fully compatible or still buggy?

It'll help me if you can be a bit more specific with this -- all software has bugs. Good software tends to have fewer and they're rapidly addressed, which has always been our goal with 1Password. If you've been reading about particular bugs that you're wondering about the status of, I'd be happy to answer as best I can. Overall, the new version of 1Password for Mac (6.8.4) and the 4.6.12 extension work quite well together.

Is there an upgrade pass from my iPassword 3 for Mac license to current 1Password for Mac 6 or I need to purchase a new license?

You'll need to purchase a new license. 1Password 3 was more than six years ago.

Is there still 1 month free trial?

Yep! I can't imagine a time when 1Password will not come with a trial, and 30 days is our standard -- so yes, you can download the current version of 1Password for Mac, install it and use it for up to 30 days on a trial basis.

And if I experience problems that can not be resolved, is there an option to cleanly uninstall 1Password, browser extensions and any related files?

Uninstalling 1Password is the same as it's always been: make sure you quit 1Password completely, then drag the 1Password application from your /Applications folder to your Mac's Trash. You can remove browser extensions in the Settings or Preferences of the respective browsers.

Can I transfer a copy of my current 1Password.agilekeychain file generated by 1Password 3 and now located in Dropbox folders on both of my older Macs to the new MacBook Air with High Sierra...

If you have an up-to-date Agile Keychain file, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, then transfer that to your new Mac's desktop. Once it's there, you can put it wherever you like. At the Welcome screen when you first launch 1Password 6 for Mac on your new Mac, you'll be asked if you're a new user. Instead, under "Used 1Password before,"click More Options then Search My Mac. At the next screen, choose Pick a different location and then Choose a file on my Mac. Finally, click "Choose File" button at the next screen, and in the pop-up window, navigate to the 1Password Agile Keychain you brought over from your older Mac, and click Open. 1Password should lock and afterwards, entering your previous Master Password should unlock it for you.

Be aware: when you do this, your 1Password data will be synced using Folder Sync to the Agile Keychain on the desktop (or wherever you put it). Visit Preferences > Sync to turn syncing off. If you're not going to be using Dropbox for sync, are you just not going to be syncing 1Password at all? Or do you plan to use another method? If so, here are instructions for setting up other sync methods. Happy migrating!

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

Lars, thank you for prompt reply. There a few answers that are not quite clear to me.

I do not understand "up-to-date" in "If you have an up-to-date Agile Keychain file, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, then transfer that to your new Mac's desktop." My "1Password.agilekeychain" currently in the Dropbox folder was generated by 1Password 3 in 2011. I have been using it and modifying with new or deleted passwords through today. However, it is my understanding that 1Password 3 is not supported or updated since 2013. So, is my file "up-to-date" and will 1Password 6 open it. Also, if it opens the file will it be upgraded or converted to a new format, i.e. after 1Password 6 opens my old transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" will it be readable by my 1Password 3? To assist you with the response, I can attach the screen shot of the "get info" window of my "1Password.agilekeychain" file if it helps.

Also, I did follow you explanation for letting newly downloaded 1Password 6 to find transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" file (if I remember it is different from 1Password 3 which placed or expected to find this file in certain location: Home Folder-Library-Application Suport-1Password-1Password.agilekeychain or moved it to Dropbox). However, your warning about Folder Sync or turning it off in Preferences completely escapes me probably because I do not have Sync option in 1Password 3 and use Dropbox to sync 1Password date (1Password.agilekeychain file) between different devices. As I explain earlier, my plan is to use my current set up of older Macs until I am satisfied with the functionality of all software on the new Mac. I will be only testing the new Mac current downloaded software including 1Password and few transferred files which I replace later when ready to switch. It means that for now I will not be cross syncing old and new Macs. The upgraded software on new Mac will make the files unreadable on the older systems. It also means, that I will not activate for Dropbox on the new Mac though the long term plan is, of course, to use Dropbox as I did before to sync data between the Macs (I do not have iPhone or iPad). Having that in mind, what is "Folder Sync" option in 1Password 6: is it used instead of Dropbox to sync data between the devices or, of not, what it will be syncing if for now I plan to have 1Password 6 on one Mac only?

Also, I think, you did not completely answered my question about uninstalling 1Password 6. I understand, of course, removing the 1Password application from the Application folder and removing the browser extensions. Obviously, the "1Password.agilekeychain" file will also have to be removed. But are there any other visible or invisible files or folders that 1Password may create that should be removed as well.

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

I do not understand "up-to-date" in "If you have an up-to-date Agile Keychain file, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, then transfer that to your new Mac's desktop." My "1Password.agilekeychain" currently in the Dropbox folder was generated by 1Password 3 in 2011. I have been using it and modifying with new or deleted passwords through today.

@drlevbk: Perfect! We just want to make sure that this is the current copy of your data. :)

However, it is my understanding that 1Password 3 is not supported or updated since 2013. So, is my file "up-to-date" and will 1Password 6 open it.

Yep! 1Password 6 can read your existing AgileKeychain vault from 1Password 3. And if that's the one you've been using all along you'll be all set.

Also, if it opens the file will it be upgraded or converted to a new format, i.e. after 1Password 6 opens my old transferred "1Password.agilekeychain" will it be readable by my 1Password 3?

Yes and no. It will still be the same AgileKeychain format, but 1Password 6 supports additional information that 1Password 3 cannot understand. It will simply ignore it. If you use the vault in 1Password 6, it is no problem to read it in 1Password 3. But DO NOT make further changes to it in 1Password 3 or you will end up with "missing" data when 1Password 3 writes only "legacy" stuff.

However, your warning about Folder Sync or turning it off in Preferences completely escapes me probably because I do not have Sync option in 1Password 3 and use Dropbox to sync 1Password date (1Password.agilekeychain file) between different devices.

Correct. 1Password 3 just writes the data to disk, so it doesn't matter if if is in your Dropbox folder or somewhere else. Lars is referring to disabling Folder Sync in 1Password 6 if it is enabled. But if you've setup 1Password 6 to sync the data with Dropbox you're all set.

Having that in mind, what is "Folder Sync" option in 1Password 6: is it used instead of Dropbox to sync data between the devices or, of not, what it will be syncing if for now I plan to have 1Password 6 on one Mac only?

1Password 6 uses an internal database, so if you want to sync to Dropbox or a specific local folder, it will create a sync copy of the data there when you set that up.

Also, I think, you did not completely answered my question about uninstalling 1Password 6. I understand, of course, removing the 1Password application from the Application folder and removing the browser extensions. Obviously, the "1Password.agilekeychain" file will also have to be removed. But are there any other visible or invisible files or folders that 1Password may create that should be removed as well. Thank you

I'm not sure why you'd want to uninstall it and delete your vault, but if you really do just follow this guide:

How to uninstall 1Password

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Edit: This discussion is now closed; conversation continues in Sync 1Password 6 with iCloud.

This discussion has been closed.