Transferring 1Password.agilekeychain file

Options
drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member

As I already discussed in a different thread, I am planning to move my current 1Password.agilekeychain file generated by 1Password 3 on older Mac with OS 10.6.8 to a new Mac with OS 10.13.1. After that, I will download the latest 1Password 6 from your site and direct 1Password to proper location to start using this file. I was told that this should work with no problems and that 1Password 6 will recognize 1Password.agilekeychain file created by 1Password 3 and will update it as needed.

However, when I tried to see my old 1Password.agilekeychain file by file sharing or transfer it with the USB flash drive, the file looks very different on a new Mac. On the older Mac my 1Password.agilekeychain file looks like a 1Password file . However, when I view the same file on new Mac, it looks like a folder and when I click on it, the folder opens showing additional items .

Is it a problem or can still transfer this to newer Mac. Maybe I should download 1Password 6 first so that the format of my old 1Password.agilekeychain file would be recognized or it does not matter?

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Firefox/Safari
OS Version: OS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drlevbk - have you installed 1Password onto your new Mac yet? Or, I should say, had you done it by the time you discovered the above? I'm asking because the Agile Keychain is indeed a container with several items in it. With 1Password installed, your Mac knows what it's looking at because the filetype .agilekeychain is associated with 1Password. That's why it has the keyhole icon on it. But if you don't have 1Password installed, your system doesn't know what to do with the .agilekeychain folder.

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member
    Options

No, I did not install 1Password 6 because I planned to transfer my current 1Password.agilekeychain file first based on advice from you in a different thread that once installed and opened 1Password 6 should be directed to the new location (any folder or a desktop as you said) of the transferred 1Password.agilekeychain file. Thus, I thought that 1Password.agilekeychain file should be already transferred by the time I download and first time open 1Password 6.

Now it appears that I should download 1Password 6 first > than transfer 1Password.agilekeychain file > and only after that open 1Password 6 and direct it to the location of 1Password.agilekeychain file. Is this sequence correct to deal with the issue?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drlevbk,

… based on advice from you in a different thread …

So the related conversation isn't fragmented between here and there, let's continue it in the other one:

Sync 1Password 6 with iCloud

Closing this one now. :)

This discussion has been closed.