I need help after resetting my iPhone 6 to original settings.

Options
hawgjohn
hawgjohn
Community Member

After reset of all settings on iPhone 6, 1Password will not open, or sync to MacBook Pro. I am running ios 11.2 on my phone. I sync my phone to my MacBook Pro Retina Display using Dropbox. Oddly, 1Password will not recognize my master password for Dropbox. I am stymied.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I found my master password to the Dropbox Vault, but the 1Password items that show up on my iPhone are ancient. The much large current file for 1Password on my MacBook Pro is not syncing to my iPhone. Dropbox is alive, but the syncing is not occurring. I feel like such a neophyte. The typical posting on this forum is well above my knowledge and experience.

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@hawgjohn,

I would check Dropbox and make sure that you've picked the same file on both the Mac and the iPhone; There's a decent chance that your iPhone is pointed at 1Password.opvault and the Mac is pointed at 1Password.agilekeychain or vice versa.

Rudy

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I'll look into that!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawgjohn - sounds good; let us know how you get on! :+1:

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Rudy, I think you are absolutely right. 1Password on my iPhone has only about 125 items; whereas 1Password on my MacBook Pro has over 300. Here's my new problem. Yesterday, when I located my master password for Dropbox, I was able to download the old version of 1Password to my iPhone and work with it. I even took note of the fact that there were two versions: .agilekeychain and .opvault. But when I tried to reopen 1Password in my iPhone this morning, I found that no password I could think of would work. The "hint" provided must have meant something to me years ago, but not now.

I am absolutely certain that I chose .agilekeychain as the modality for the download of the 1Password file on my iPhone. I thought I would start today by checking to see whether 1Password on my MacBook Pro was .agilekeychain or .opvault. But to tell the truth, I don't really know how to do that. Pass the pablum.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Aha! I found that my MacBook Pro is .opvault

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @hawgjohn -- sounds like you're making progress! I'm a little unclear, though -- are you still needing assistance? Or have you got everything sorted? If not, can you give us a bit more detail about where things stand right now, and any problems you're experiencing? Thanks.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

More frustrated than ever, I decided to take Christmas off. Here’s where I am. I made a decision to give up on the 1Password app on my iPhone 6. And decided instead to start anew with the latest version of 1Password from the App store. Now all want to do is to sync the contents of my 1Password on my MacBook Pro to 1Password on my iPhone 6.

That ought to be intuitive and easy. Instead, Agilbits has provided the most complicated, tortuous and downright incomprehensible instructions in the history of technical writing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawgjohn: Our writing isn't very technical, but if you'll tell us what step in particular you're getting hung up on I'm sure we can help! :)

It sounds like part of the confusion may be due to you trying to use your Dropbox account password to unlock a 1Password vault. These are likely very different. Dropbox, as far as I know, doesn't ever use the term "Master Password", so you're probably being asked for the Master Password for your 1Password vault but entering the Dropbox password instead, which could definitely get you stuck.

We have a great guide on "How to sync 1Password with Dropbox", but if you already have your 1Password data in Dropbox it can be even much easier than that: when you setup 1Password for the first time, just choose the "Dropbox" option to use your existing data, select the vault you want to use (if you have more than one there), and enter the correct Master Password.

But if you're having deeper issues with your Dropbox setup, this guide will help you narrow down the cause:

If you’re having trouble syncing with Dropbox

And certainly if you're still having trouble or have other questions, we can help you better if you'll provide some details about your setup (OS, 1Password, and device versions), the exact steps you're taking, and what part you're getting stuck on. We're here for you. :)

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. I am waking up and having coffee in the mountain time zone. Be back in touch. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. Enjoy your coffee! We're here if you need us. :)

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

The file referenced above is a jpeg of what appears under "sync" in 1Password Preferences on my MacBook Pro. I take this to mean that 1Password on my Macbook is syncing through Dropbox.

However, when I open 1Password on my iPhone 6, I cannot find references to syncing anywhere at all. It's as though its own island universe.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawgjohn -- Thanks for that. What it shows me is that you're syncing not only via Dropbox, but that you also have the WLAN (Wi-Fi) server turned on. You're welcome to use that, of course, but there's not much need if you're using Dropbox. I'd consider turning off the WLAN server.

However, before we get into the nitty-gritty of things here, I want to address your comments regarding things being "intuitive and easy." We agree with that notion, and I want to make it clear that Dropbox and WLAN are advanced, manual sync methods. They rely on third party APIs that we don't write or have much (OK, any) control over. We have tested 1Password's ability (error handling, etc) to work with a small number of "cloud" providers (Dropbox, iCloud), and for the most part it works quite well. But it requires the willingness and knowledge to set them up, and despite our best efforts, these will always remain manual, third-party additions to 1Password that enable sync. That's one of the main reasons why we wrote the server back-end of 1password.com -- to create a system that "just works" for users who don't want to spend time setting up, managing and troubleshooting their own sync issues.

If you look through our forum history, you'll see that one of the largest (percentage-wise) issues we deal with here are users that have one or another problem with our manual sync methods. We continue to support these methods, as some people prefer them for various reasons, but if you're the type of user who just wants to turn things on and GO while still feeling secure that their data is safe and easily accessible, then a 1Password membership may be for you.

If you'd like to continue with manual Dropbox sync, my first question for you would be: is the data you can see in 1Password for Mac complete and up-to-date? In other words, is it the data you'd like synced to your iOS device(s)? If so, do you have both the current Dropbox and 1Password apps installed on your iPhone 6, and is the Dropbox app using the same Dropbox account as the one on your Mac?

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars! There's a lot packed into your comment. Let me begin at the end.
    Yes, the data in 1Password for Mac is complete. It is exactly what I want to install on my iPhone 6.
    Yes Dropbox is installed on my iPhone, but no, it does not using the same Dropbox account as the Mac.
    Yes the 1Password app is installed on my iPhone, downloaded earlier this month. Operating on version 7.0.4. It calls me "subscribed." It replaced an earlier version that got removed on the rash notion that could no longer be synced because it dated back to a '13 purchase date. (Don't ask!)

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I don't care about automatic syncing thru the cloud. Not necessarily automatically thru Dropbox. I am happy to sync manually every so often.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawgjohn

Yes Dropbox is installed on my iPhone, but no, it does not using the same Dropbox account as the Mac.

Well, that's your problem right there: if you're using two different Dropbox accounts, that would be why you can't see your Agile Keychain -- because those two accounts are literally like two different locked filing cabinets: you enter the Dropbox password for one, you see its contents, you enter the Dropbox password for the other, you see those contents. And never the twain shall meet.

You've got a couple of choices: you can switch the Dropbox app on your iPhone to use the same Dropbox account as on your Mac (or vice-versa), or you can use what we'd ordinarily call the Dropbox sharing feature to put the Agile Keychain in a separate folder within the first Dropbox account that you can then invite the second Dropbox account to share. This strikes me as a particularly precarious setup, and more prone to problems than the regular Dropbox sync setup, but it IS possible.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Let's back up for just a second. When I open 1Password on my iPhone, it isn't that I don't succeed in syncing through Dropbox. I cannot find anyplace on then app that allows me to sync with anything at all. I gotta be the dumbest guy who ever tried to use this app.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I try "add existing account," and it asks me to scan account details, opens a screen...inviting me to point at what?

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

Progress: I now have the same Dropbox account on my iPhone as on my Mac. Still no idea of how to connect my iPhone 1Password to anything, including Dropbox on my iPhone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawgjohn - We've actually got a great troubleshooting guide for Dropbox sync. Give it a read and follow the applicable steps there.

Unless - and this might be a possibility as well - you actually have a 1password.com account instead of local (standalone) vaults. If that's the case, then you don't need to sync via Dropbox, as the 1password.com service has its own, built-in sync. Can you let me know if that's the case? Thanks.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

I DO have a 1Password.com account. With NOTHING in it! The standalone 1Password Vault on my Mac has EVERYTHING in it. If I could have a NEW standalone vault on my iPhone that could be synced thru Dropbox, I would gladly forgo the $39.99 I've paid for a year's membership on the iPhone 1Password.com account that I DO NOT WANT. My own ignorance has painted me into a corner.

• hawgjohn
    hawgjohn
    Community Member
    Options

My last post sounds angry, for which I apologize. Guess I'm just frustrated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Edit: Didn't see your followup, but no worries; we'll get things sorted out! :chuffed:

@hawgjohn: You can absolutely use a local vault and sync it between both devices, and we can help you with that (following the guide I linked above to setup Dropbox sync on the iPhone will allow you to do that), but if you've made a purchase through the App Store that isn't something we can refund for you, as that's owned and operated by Apple. So if you are sure you do not want to use the 1Password.com membership you signed up for (though I'm not clear on why you did), you'd need to cancel it through Apple. The only alternative is that, if you decide you do want to use the 1Password.com membership after all, we can switch you over to direct billing through the website, and that way we can add credits to your account to help with this transition. Either way, I'll shoot you an email shortly so we can work out the details without discussing sensitive purchase and account information here on a public forum. I'm sorry that there are some things we cannot do to help, but we'll do everything that we can for you. :blush:

ref: SGX-42865-223

This discussion has been closed.