Secret key: strong master password unnecessary?

Options
tommy_92
tommy_92
Community Member
  • With 1Password ($2.99) is a strong master password now unnecessary?
  • Would I sacrifice security?

I've only got the local app installed on my phone but I want it on my Windows computer so I believe I must subscribe.

My existing password is something like this Yeonter29Detenter^

I've read all about the new Secret Keys so I wanted to know if I still needed a password like the one in my example?

I'd prefer to have a much shorter password something like this Arnionth

It's not like I'm going to be able to remember the Secret Key so I'd have to print out a copy.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

With 1Password ($2.99) is a strong master password now unnecessary? Would I sacrifice security?

@tommy_92: Yes. The Master Password is the foundation of your security, and using a weak one makes it a weak link in your security.

I've only got the local app installed on my phone but I want it on my Windows computer so I believe I must subscribe.

My existing password is something like this Yeonter29Detenter^ I've read all about the new Secret Keys so I wanted to know if I still needed a password like the one in my example? I'd prefer to have a much shorter password something like this Arnionth

Using a long, strong, unique Master Password is incredibly important. 10 characters — the minimum for 1Password.com — chosen at random from letters, numbers, and symbols is actually fairly strong. But most people prefer a longer word-based password which is easier to memorize and type. Chosen at random, something like narcoses burnout secure gritty is also very strong and difficult to guess.

The Secret Key is important too, but it's best to use that as a supplement to a strong Master Password, not a replacement for it. While someone will not be able to guess the Secret Key, they could potentially steal it from one of your authorized devices; conversely, while it exists only in your brain, the Master Password will be easier to guess. So both help protect against different attacks. Together, both are stronger, and your data more secure.

It's not like I'm going to be able to remember the Secret Key so I'd have to print out a copy.

Someone did memorize it once, but I don't recommend it! :lol:

Save a copy of your Emergency Kit in a secure location like a safe deposit box in case you ever need it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.