Setting up additional private vaults in the family plan

beans
beans
Community Member

I'm currently on the family plan, and I'd like to be able to set up additional private vaults that can be shared with guests or other individual members of the family, but the family administrators can't access or assign themselves to the vault. At this stage all of the "children" on the family account are adults, so they need to be able to share passwords amongst each other but not the entire family. Is this possible or is there an upcoming feature to enable this?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:private vault family

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @beans! Family Organizers are, as you say, administrators, and as such have management access to all non-Personal vaults on an account. Management access is not quite the same as data access.

When you create a vault, you can choose which members of an account have access to the actual data in that vault. If the other members of the account want to create and share a vault amongst themselves, but not with you, they can do that. If you're a Family Organizer, then you will have management rights for any vaults they create - meaning you would be able to grant yourself data access - but naturally you don't have to do that. As Family Organizers have full management access over the entire account, that access level should only be granted to those folks you can trust to act responsibly.

Otherwise, the other options would be:

• Upgrade the account to a 1Password Teams account; Teams accounts come with more granular permissions, and at the very least would give you three tiers of access control - Owners, Administrators and Team Members (and Teams Pro accounts give you unlimited tiers)
    • Your other account members could register a separate account for themselves to use that the people they don't want to share with do not have access to

I hope that all makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.