Is there a process to update a vault with items that are new or modified from another vault?

Options
ozarkcanoer
ozarkcanoer
Community Member

My Personal vault is my master vault. I want to keep a duplicate of the items in another vault up to date. Is there a process that allows me to copy items from vault A to vault B, overwriting duplicate items in vault B if they are older than the items from A?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a process to update a vault with items that are new or modified from another vault?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ozarkcanoer: That isn't possible. When you copy an item from one vault to another, it is completely separate and unique — literally: it will have a new UUID — so if you try copying it back again, you'll have two items: the original and the copy. Each vault is completely discrete from the others, with its own unique encryption keys, so there isn't a way to link things across vault boundaries.

Can you tell me more about why you're trying to do this? Why not create a new vault specifically for these items you presumably want to share, or at least manage separately from the others?

• ewiesner26
    ewiesner26
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean when I change a password in my personal vault and I want to push that change in a shared vault, I should either delete the item from the shared vault and add it back to the shared vault from my personal vault or edit the shared vault entry and change the password in the shared vault to what was just changed in the personal vault? Sounds pretty convoluted.

• Ben
    Options

Why do you have multiple copies of the item across multiple vaults to begin with? :) The recommended solution would be to store the only copy of the item in the shared vault, and update it there directly.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.