Dropbox folder and file too large?

amorg
amorg
Community Member

I've been getting messages for a while telling me that my DropBox is full and I should upgrade. When I checked what was causing the bloat, I noticed that my 1Password file and folders are taking up 5GB (which exceeds my 4.25GB allocation). Drilling down into the 1Password folder, I notice that it contains various subfolders ('a', 'config', 'data') and that these contain subfolders and v.large sets of files with names consisting of long alphanumeric strings followed by '.1password'. Is there any of this that I can safely delete to free up some space? Does anybody have any advice about freeing up space in the 1Password folder. I'm fairly sure that the folder wasn't this big in the past, and I want to avoid having to upgrade to a £10 per month Dropbox plan. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amorg: DON'T delete anything. I've seen this occasionally when people have saved 1Password backups and/or other data inside their 1Password vault. If you right click your AgileKeychain or OPVault and "view package contents", what files do you see which are largest? There's going to be something there which does not belong.

If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive (the filenames are not, however), as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• amorg
    amorg
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty,
    There are so many files in the package, that it's going to be hard to check all their sizes. I'd love to send you a screenshot, but when I click on the picture button (far right below 'Leave a Comment') on my browser (Safari 11.0.2 on iMac running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6), the drop image / file dialog box doesn't appear. I tried it on Firefox too but the result was the same. Any suggestions?
    Tx Andy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amorg: I would just sort by size in Finder. They should all be incredibly small relative to the gigabytes you're talking about. It should be pretty easy to spot the culprits.

Regarding posting an image, it sounds like you've got some extension that's breaking the site, perhaps by blocking the script.

• amorg
    amorg
    Community Member

Thanks again Brenty,
    I did as you suggested and most of the files are v small, not even 1kb. The largest is 100 kb. I'm finding out that the problem is actually with my DropBox folder, which seems to overstate the size of all the data it contains by quite a margin. I'm going to have to do some further investigating. thanks for all your help.
    Tx Andy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@amorg - brenty is out for the day, but keep us in the loop and let us know what you discover, or if there's anything further we can do to assist you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amorg: Ouch. That still seems crazy, as filesystem stuff is handled through the OS. I guess it's possible that there's an issue there which is causing things to be misreported, but I suspect that there may be some rather large files that aren't immediately obvious, perhaps nested somewhere. You might try rebooting into recovery mode to do first aid to repair and filesystem errors. And I'm rather fond of an app called DaisyDisk to scan the drive to help me find big files that I need to deal with. Good luck, and I'd love to hear how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.