trying to change my email address on 1password. When trying to log in via the web browser

Mike_Petrelle
Mike_Petrelle
Community Member

It asks for my email, secret key and password. I get the email and secret password from the app on my computer and the password is the one I use to log into 1password (and it works) but I get the following error - Cannot sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect.
How can I get into my account to change the email?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Master password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Mike_Petrelle! There are two ways to use and pay for 1Password: as a standalone app, or with a 1password.com membership/account. Can I ask which of those ways you use 1Password? Do you remember where/how you purchased? If you have a 1password.com account, you should be able to sign into your account in a browser and change your email address by clicking your name in the upper right corner of the browser window, then choosing My Profile and on the following screen, clicking Manage beside Sign in Details.

If you have never subscribed to a 1password.com account, but purchased 1Password as a standalone app, can you tell me which version (Mac, iOS, Android, Windows) license you purchased and from where?

• Mike_Petrelle
    Mike_Petrelle
    Community Member

Lars - I subscribed this morning for a Family Plan billed annual - does it take a while - could hat be the problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mike_Petrelle: I'm not sure I follow. What would "take a while"? Have you completed the sign up process? Also, if you've made changes to your account (e.g. moving from an individual membership to a family plan, or changing your email address), that may change your login credentials. Let me know what you're doing!

• Mike_Petrelle
    Mike_Petrelle
    Community Member

Is it possible to get on a call with someone and walk through this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@Mike_Petrelle - we don't offer telephone support for setting up 1Password, but we're happy to continue helping you right here in the forum, or via email for more sensitive/private matters that should not be on a public forum.

If you have a 1Password Families account, then you will need to change your email or other details online, in a browser. To do so, you'll need to either scan the Setup Code (looks like a square QR code) or manually enter your sign-in details. Here's how:

1. Visit your 1Password Families URL in a browser. I can't tell you what this is because unlike individual accounts, 1Password Families accounts get their own subdomain, and you would have chosen this when you signed up initially. Did you print out your Emergency Kit when you initially signed up? If so, it will have the URL printed right on it. If not, the format will look something like this: https://name_you_chose_.1password.com. Many people use their actual family name for the URL, so it might be something like https://petrelle.1password.com -- but that's just a guess; the actual URL will be whatever you chose.
    2. On that page, if you don't have your Setup Code from your Emergency Kit, you'll need to manually enter your sign-in credentials. Those are:
      • The email address you used initially to sign up for your 1Password Families account.
      • Your Secret Key (which was generated randomly when you signed up, and would be part of your Emergency Kit as well.
      • Your (hopefully long and strong) Master Password, chosen by you when you signed up.

If you either cannot remember your Master Password or no longer have your Secret Key, then you will be unable to access your account. If that's the case, send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com, include a link to this thread, and let us know you need to have a deletion email sent out to you. We will send you a time-limited email which will contain a special link to delete your account, at which point you can start over and create a new one -- even using the same URL/name if you wish. Hope this helps, good luck!

ref: DCH-93234-353

This discussion has been closed.