Read Only on new mac

lloydyboy
lloydyboy
Community Member

I have been using 1password for a number of years on a macbook, iPad and iPhone with no problems. I have just purchased a new iMac and 1password is in read only. I have reviewed the forums and tried deleting the app, rebooting, reinstalling and nothing changes, still in 'Read only.'
The original purchases of 1password and the Pro features for IOS were made through the app store and I am still using the same apple ID.
Would you please advise how I may fix this issue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydyboy Sorry for the trouble just now! The only way 1Password for Mac will be in read-only mode is if you have:
    1. Installed 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store
    2. Not purchased a standalone license using the same Apple ID OR subscribed to a 1password.com account

Do you recall about when your original purchase of 1Password for Mac was at the Mac App Store? (rough estimate is OK)

• lloydyboy
    lloydyboy
    Community Member

Thanks for helping with this. If I search my hard drive on my macbook there is a file that says 'License.1password-licence' which was created on 31 July 2015. I guess it was then.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lloydyboy Thanks for the legwork! If you have a license, then that means you purchased from us, not from the Mac App Store. Which would explain why the Mac App Store version is now in read-only mode. A while back, we moved 1Password for Mac in the Mac App Store to a free download, with the option to purchase either a standalone license or subscribe to a 1password.com account. Prior to that, it wasn't possible to accidentally download the Mac App Store version of 1Password because you had to pay up front for it, like many Mac App Store apps.

Since we made the change (for various reasons), however, we've seen a few of these, where people forget that their initial purchase was through us, and they get a new computer or reformat an old hard drive, and then download from Apple instead of from us -- because the Mac App Store doesn't make them pay. The solution to this at this point is to visit our downloads page and grab the latest version (6.8.5) from us, then follow the instructions in this guide to switch from the Mac App Store version to our version. Let us know if you have any problems! :)

• lloydyboy
    lloydyboy
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. Don't remember purchasing from your website, but I guess I must have. All fixed now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Lars, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• rupert_hn
    rupert_hn
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm having the same problem in that I purchased a new MacBook Pro and am getting the same 'Read-only' message in 1Password mini. I've tried deleting, re-installing and re-booting a number of times using versions downloaded from both your website and the Mac App Store and am still getting the message. Help!

The version I have currently downloaded is 6.8.8 (688002) from the AgileBits Store.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@rupert_hn: Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you pay for 1Password? What I mean is, if you "purchased" it for free from the Mac App Store, it will be read-only unless you do the in-app purchase for the full standalone version, or you have an active 1Password.com membership (whose account you're signed into in the app. You'll need to check your records. If you did pay for 1Password, perhaps it was from the AgileBits Store, or using a different Apple ID. In either case, you'll need to install it from where you bought it, and with the App Store, that will have to be done using the correct Apple ID in order for the App Store to validate your purchase. But again, if you're seeing "read only", that's the Mac App Store version. No such message exists in the AgileBits Store version. So if you're seeing that, perhaps you've installed both for some reason. Let me know.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @rupert_hn! What you have is a copy of 1Password 6 for Mac that you've downloaded from the Mac App Store. The only way you can get the "Read Only" mode is if you download 1Password from the Mac App Store and haven't purchased it from there. Then, your data will be in "Read Only" mode.

If you're certain the version you have installed in from the AgileBits store (us), then you may have more than one copy of 1Password installed if the mini is telling you it's Read Only. Can you check? Do a Spotlight search for 1Password and look for any items grouped together under "Applications." There should be only one.

• rupert_hn
    rupert_hn
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback @Lars and @brenty and sorry for the slow response.

Have managed to work it out - my Mac App Store was logged in under the wrong user ID. All sorted now. Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

No worries! Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it sorted out. This is why I only have one: because I'd be confused all the time instead of just some of it. Cheers! :)

• nikywoo
    nikywoo
    Community Member

I'm having the same challenge.
    Correct AppleID
    Tried installing from both apple store and from Agile bits - same 'read only error'

I purchased it some years ago as a standalone app - therefore no secret key that it's asking me for.

Please can you advise

thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@nikywoo: If you purchased the standalone app through Apple, you'll need to install that version from your purchase history:

https://support.apple.com/HT201272#apps

You'll always get "read only" if you're using a version you didn't pay for, and you'll only have a Secret Key or sign in address if you've subscribed to a 1Password.com membership. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.