Firefox 57.0.3 1Password kills the save prompt

broda02
broda02
Community Member

On Firefox Mac, when I enter a password for a web page, the Firefox box and the 1Password box to save the password appear. Firefox is 1st and when the 1Password one pops up (.5 second later) it dismisses the Firefox one. Why can't both be left? I want to also save in Firefox

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.5 (685003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @broda02! The pop-ups for 1Password and Firefox are independent of one another, so I'm not quite sure why one would be dismissing the other.

I know you said you want to save in both places, but can I ask you why? 1Password is designed as a cross-platform, cross-browser solution so you can use it on any device and in any major browser. We actually recommend people turn off their in-browser password management solutions. The browser developers write them because they pretty much have to; if they didn't, people who don't use 1Password or other third-party password managers would have no way of, well, managing their passwords at all. But even if browser developers create ways to sync stored passwords between browsers on separate devices, it doesn't help you if you routinely use more than one browser. 1Password allows you to have a secure, centrally-managed way to store and retrieve your most important data, across all four major platforms and all major browsers.

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Why? Because it's easier to use the browser password restore. I launch the page, it fills the userid and password for me on the page. I use yours to save and generate new ones, but as it (as far as I have seen) does not automatically fill in the web form when it pops into Firefox. Can you try this on the latest Firefox on Mac and see what you get?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@broda02 No need to test it; you're quite correct about the behavior. This is by design, for your security. Anything that will populate and submit a form without any input from you other than typing in the URL of the webpage is a danger to your security. Of course, it's up to you to determine what level of risk is acceptable to you, but there is good reason to turn off such things if you have 1Password already on your side.

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Oh I see... A feature ! Well then let me report a bug with Chrome that you do not dismiss that save dialog. Can't wait for this response !

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Oh and also Safari you have this security exposure. Seems you only have this feature on Firefox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@broda02 I'm not sure what you mean; 1Password does not have the privileges to dismiss ANY system dialogue, and that includes any of them sent to you by Firefox or any other browser.

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

You said the behavior is by design. That implies you are killing the Firefox dialog. So why is this design just for Firefox. If you are saying you are not doing this, then why say it's by design? And why does it only happen on Firefox. So I guess we are saying you do not do this by design, then can we return to why your dialog dismisses the Firefox dialog? As you point out it is up to me to decide what level of security I want, so I need your product to not interfere with Firefox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@broda02 No, sorry if that's the impression I gave. What is by design is that 1Password does not include or allow automatic auto-fill (auto-fill without the users' input), not that we dismiss the Firefox dialog. We do not. Sorry for the confusion. :)

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Ok, so let's start again. Are you saying this is a Firefox issue? That your dialog causes theirs to dismiss? Or are you willing to look at this to see if a 1Password bug?

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Looks like an old issue. And a tip how to fix by disabling your autosave https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64367/1password-dialog-box-closes-firefox-save-password-popup

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Cannot find that option in preferences to disable your autosave?

• broda02
    broda02
    Community Member

Found it...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@broda02

Are you saying this is a Firefox issue?

What I've been saying is that because it appears to happen only in Firefox and not other browsers, and because we generally recommend users not use both the built-in browser password manager AND 1Password simultaneously, it's an issue we're not likely to spend a great deal of time working to solve.

Glad you found a workaround that will fit in with your preferred workflow!

This discussion has been closed.