Autofilling of non-login forms generally doesn't work [credit card and identity filling coming]

tozaisen
tozaisen
Community Member
edited January 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Since switching to 1Password X, I've noticed that autofilling forms with the 1Password Identity I've created for myself or a specific credit card just doesn't work. I click FILL (or select with the keyboard and hit Enter) and nothing gets populated in the forms (using Mac Chrome). The most recent form I tried was on shop.lego.com when requesting a catalog, but I've noticed it on several other sites. So much so that I was genuinely surprised the other day when a credit card form got a just a teensy bit populated with the expiration date.

Before 1Password X, I could count on some of the form information to be populated, even if it wasn't always correct, but now with so many blank forms autofilled something just doesn't seem right. I expect this to work at least some of the time. Am I an outlier?

Regardless of the above, I lurve 1Password and couldn't live without it. Hoping for something to go on here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tozaisen: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the trouble there! It's true that it can be pretty hit or miss with 1Password X right now. Our focus has been exclusively on login filling. That will change in the future though, as the new extension matures. It's definitely on our radar, just isn't ready for the initial release. Thank you for your honest feedback on this! :blush:

• tozaisen
    tozaisen
    Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond, @brenty. That's all I needed to hear!

• tomco
    tomco
    Community Member

There's no year on this post, so I assume that it's 2018?

In any case, I just want to echo this...1password has been totally unable to fill in credit card forms for me for many months (it used to work fine), which obviously makes it a lot less useful. Hopefully you guys are actually working on a fix.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tozaisen: No problem! I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, but it's definitely on our list!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tomco: Yep! These are all posts from this week, but I also get a bit discombobulated when seeing just "January" when it's a new year, at least for a month or so. ;)

Indeed, we've focused on Login filling to start since that's our bread and butter, but we'll be working on Identity and Credit Card filling as well going forward. Thank you for taking the time to let us know this is something you're missing!

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

just want to add to this threat and ask when can identity filling be expected? a killer feature for the desktop app was always the ability to fill in boring info like delivery address or billing address

thanks

:D

• Welcome to the forums, @damien1! 👋 And thank you for bumping this thread as many things have changed since this discussion took place.

1Password X now fills Credit Cards and Identities in the official version and several additional improvements have been made in the beta version over the last few weeks as well. Give it a go (preferably with the beta) and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

++dave;

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @dteare

thanks - i installed 1Password X only today - after reading the newsletter.

I tried to buy something here https://store-uk.polar.com/checkout/multi/delivery-address

and also tried to register for this support forum

but filling in identities didn't work :(

I'll see if there is a beta extension and let you know

Thanks for the quick response too

Damien

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @dteare

just installed the beta and still having no luck filling in an identity / address here https://store-uk.polar.com/checkout/multi/delivery-address

and tried it on your contact us page https://support.1password.com/contact/ with no luck

Thanks

Damien

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @damien1!,

I've seen some rumblings from a few folks that seem to have similar issues. This leads me to believe we might have an issue with something different on your Identity Item than the ones we use personally or in our testing.

Could you try creating a test Identity Item on 1Password.com, with a fake name, email address, and street address? Then, try filling that test item on the websites you're having issues on?

If this doesn't work than we know it's not your Identity Item and rather something different on your machine (browser, OS, etc) not playing nicely with 1Password X. Either way, I'll help get to the bottom of it!

&drew

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @beyer

Cheers for the advice - i created a fake identity via 1password.com (and not via Mac / PC client) I went to page https://support.1password.com/contact and clicked in fill identity and nothing happened

Note - see the picture - I didn't get the 1p lock logo on the email or name field either :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@damien1: You shouldn't see a 1Password logo in those fields, as that isn't a login form. Can you try selecting the Identity item you want to fill from the 1Password menu by clicking the icon in the toolbar? We don't have a good form to test Identity filling on our website because we collect so little information on our users, but this form is a good example:

https://designsystem.digital.gov/components/form-templates/

You'll just have to do a bit of scrolling through the different sections (name, address, login, etc.) Let me know what you find!

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

In the 1Password X stable version - the icon showed in identity fields yesterday - in the beta it is not showing

I did use the icon in the toolbar and nothing happens :(

Just went to https://designsystem.digital.gov/components/form-templates/ and again nothing happens :(

Happy to help beta / play around some more - LMK ?

one thought - is it a conflict because I have the Mac / Windows Applications also running?

Thanks
    Damien

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

@damien1 have you tried the new 1.6.2 Beta?

[IMPROVED] Improved Credit Card and Identity filling on several websites.

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

@blaxxz
    yes - i installed the beta for the first time yesterday per yours or Dave's request

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In the 1Password X stable version - the icon showed in identity fields yesterday - in the beta it is not showing

@damien1: It sounds like we fixed a bug there then, as the 1Password icon should only be shown in login forms. I'm sorry for the confusion that caused you though. :(

I did use the icon in the toolbar and nothing happens :(
    Just went to https://designsystem.digital.gov/components/form-templates/ and again nothing happens :(

Hmm. Can you be more specific? Do you mean that the 1Password button is unresponsive? Definitely make sure the browser is fully updated and restart your computer. It may just be hung up because of that.

Happy to help beta / play around some more - LMK ?
    one thought - is it a conflict because I have the Mac / Windows Applications also running?

It shouldn't make a difference. I have it running myself. Let me know what you find. :)

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

I restarted my mac today - as it updated the OS today

I go to o https://designsystem.digital.gov/components/form-templates/ and scroll down to the basic name form

I click on the Input (name field)

The button is responsive - i can click on the identity, i click on Fill and nothing happens

Cheers

:D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@damien1: Awesome! I mean...not really awesome at all, but that definitely helps. Thank you.

Just as a frame of reference, when I do the same using 1Password X at the "Name form", 1Password X actually fills that and jumps me down to the "Address form" since it fills that as well in one go. I'm seeing the same behaviour with the beta (1.6.2) and stable versions (1.6).

Can you tell me the exact version of Chrome you're running, from chrome://settings/help? Also, do you have other extensions installed? Those may be interfering (never mind the privacy and security risks if you've granted them permission to see everything you do on webpages — including saving and filling with 1Password). Please try setting up a new Chrome profile and try 1Password X there to see if that allows it to work normally:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824

I'm sorry we haven't yet narrowed down why this isn't working on your system, but I'm sure we'll get there. :)

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @Brenty

thanks for the detailed steps and glad to help ...

I checked that im running latest version of chrome 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    I created a new Identity (see screen grab)
    I installed 1password x beta
    I removed all other extensions to be sure it wasnt a conflict with any blocker plugins i run
    I went to the us.gov site and selected the identity and clicked on fill

result nothing happened :(

I also tried it on your contact-us page with the same result

• Hi @damien1,

Thank you for the detailed followup. I think Beyer may have tracked down this issue and it should be fixed in the next beta that I'll be publishing soon and the official release later this week.

Just to be 100% sure it's the same issue that was fixed, could you look at the Console log for the background page and see if there are any errors there? To do this, select Window > Extensions and then click on the background page link as shown here:

A new Developer Tools window should appear and you can then click on the Console tab. I'm guessing you will see some errors there after filling that look like Error: interface conversion: interface is nil. If not, we'll want to keep on digging here. 🙂

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Bingo @dteare

console log shows following errors....

🚩 start
    brain.js:1 Uncaught (in promise) Error: runtime error: slice bounds out of range
    at Ke (brain.js:1)
    at Qe (brain.js:1)
    at k (brain.js:1)
    at c (brain.js:1)
    at Object.Q.ptr.fieldValueForDesignation (brain.js:1)
    at Object.Fe.ptr.fill (brain.js:1)
    at Lr (brain.js:1)
    at Object.P.ptr.identityFillScript (brain.js:1)
    at Object.P.ptr.createFillScript (brain.js:1)
    at Object.P.ptr.CreateFillScript (brain.js:1)
    at ve (brain.js:1)
    at Object.e.$externalizeWrapper.e.$externalizeWrapper [as Cfs] (brain.js:1)
    at de (background.js:1)
    at pk (background.js:1)

• Ooohhhh! Interesting!

This looks different than the issue @beyer mentioned but interestingly enough, it’s in the exact same method. I’m going to poke around the code for a bit to verify things before asking you to do any more work.

Thank you for posting these details! They’re incredibly helpful.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@damien1: Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the console errors. Believe it or not, that was enough for me to find the issue. 🎉

I've fixed this on my machine and I'm double-checking we don't have any other issues here before sending the changes to the rest of my team for review. I'll make sure this gets included in our next release.

In the meantime, I suspect if you remove your zip code or phone number from your identity item you'll see everything else fill correctly.

Thanks for your aid in tracking down this issue.

&drew

• damien1
    damien1
    Community Member

Hi @beyer all seems to be fixed :) thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for reporting this, and sharing those details! Together we can make 1Password X even better. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.