Feature Request - 1Password Client Application

cswannack
cswannack
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for a number of years and it works great...here is a list of feature requests out of my experiences of using the application for the last 4+ years.

1) Be able to assign an item to the one of the existing 1Password default categories, since at the time of creating the the login item I didn't have an opportunity to assign it to a category.

2) Be able to create my own item categories.

3) When creating a password, have the ability to create a numeric "only" password up to 64 digits in length. I recently visited a website that requested a numeric only password...but with 24+ digits.

4) When you create a new password from the password generator menu item (from the 1Password Apple Menu item drop-down menu item) and you set digit and symbol length to zero length...for some reason the font style is 'grayed-out' until you set that at least 1 digit for a number or symbol in the password. (If you click in the new password field the font style reverts to black.)

5) When generating a new password, give me the option to set the number of alpha characters instead of the defaulting to the length of the password minus the digit number of symbols and numbers that I have specified.

6) When generating a new password, give me the option to set the number of numeric or symbol digits to more than 10 digits.

7) I have a banking website, that even though I have saved all of the access credentials in 1Password, I still enter all of the credentials since they include a random security question for my login.

There are 3 different 'web' pages the credentials are asked including the security question that is randomly selected from the 6 already configured security questions.

The feature request is that over the last 4 years, 1Password asked me every-time if I want to 'save' this website login page as a new item in 1Password...and every time I tell I select the 'no' button. It would be nice it 1Password would learn that if I have told it 'no' more than 'x' times to not request that I save the login item again.

8) Create a specific item that was designed for private/public key pairs and also generate public/private keys. (I realize that generating the keys is outside the normal scope of 1Password...but it would be nice to be able to explicitly create an item that was categorized specifically for public/private key type of information instead of using the Secure note item type.)

9) At times I haven't figured out exactly what it takes for 1Password to set for an item and pull down the website favicon that is used as item icon when you see the list of items in 1Password. It would be nice to be able to double-click on the icon image (when in item editing mode) and paste in the URL of the website so that you could explicitly set how 1Password could "grab" the website favicon.

10) I would like to set the directory/file path for backups that 1Password uses explicitly. The default backup directory is buried down in the library application support directory. I don't always backup the library folder since it doesn't change much from week to week. However I do like to make sure the the 1Password backups are always be backed up to offsite backup. So for now I manually copy the backup files over into a specific folder in the Documents directory.

If further clarity is desired let me know. Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have been using 1Password for a number of years and it works great...here is a list of feature requests out of my experiences of using the application for the last 4+ years.

@cswannack: That's so great to hear! Thank you for the kind words, and for choosing 1Password. :chuffed:

1) Be able to assign an item to the one of the existing 1Password default categories, since at the time of creating the the login item I didn't have an opportunity to assign it to a category.

I'm not sure I get this one. You say you "didn't have an opportunity to assign it to a category", but this has to be chosen when creating an item. Do you mean you want to change the category now? It isn't possible since the templates (and functionality: e.g. logins) varies greatly, but perhaps we'll be able to find a way to do something like that in the future.

2) Be able to create my own item categories.

We'd very much like this too. :)

3) When creating a password, have the ability to create a numeric "only" password up to 64 digits in length. I recently visited a website that requested a numeric only password...but with 24+ digits.

Ouch. Yeah, I can see how that's a tough one, even if that is uncommon. Ultimately we have some plans for revamping the password generator, and that should help with this. Thanks for bringing it up!

4) When you create a new password from the password generator menu item (from the 1Password Apple Menu item drop-down menu item) and you set digit and symbol length to zero length...for some reason the font style is 'grayed-out' until you set that at least 1 digit for a number or symbol in the password. (If you click in the new password field the font style reverts to black.)

Hmm. That's an odd one. Thank you for letting us know! When we redo the generator, that should become a non-issue.

5) When generating a new password, give me the option to set the number of alpha characters instead of the defaulting to the length of the password minus the digit number of symbols and numbers that I have specified.

We're probably not going to do that, as it really kills entropy. You're probably thinking "but that's what you do with digits and symbols now", and you're right; that's something we'll be addressing with the new password generator: letters, numbers, and symbols should either be allowed or not, contributing randomly to the length set by the user.

6) When generating a new password, give me the option to set the number of numeric or symbol digits to more than 10 digits.

We're not going to allow you to set the length, but having digits and symbols enabled will make it possible to have more than 10.

7) I have a banking website, that even though I have saved all of the access credentials in 1Password, I still enter all of the credentials since they include a random security question for my login.
    There are 3 different 'web' pages the credentials are asked including the security question that is randomly selected from the 6 already configured security questions.
    The feature request is that over the last 4 years, 1Password asked me every-time if I want to 'save' this website login page as a new item in 1Password...and every time I tell I select the 'no' button. It would be nice it 1Password would learn that if I have told it 'no' more than 'x' times to not request that I save the login item again.

Hmm. That's an interesting idea. Right now you can select "Never Autosave for this site" and get the same result, but maybe we can make that option more prominent. We just want to make sure that 1Password does offer to save whenever possible unless the user explicitly tells it not to.

8) Create a specific item that was designed for private/public key pairs and also generate public/private keys. (I realize that generating the keys is outside the normal scope of 1Password...but it would be nice to be able to explicitly create an item that was categorized specifically for public/private key type of information instead of using the Secure note item type.)

I don't think we're going to do that since everyone has a different new category they want us to add...but custom categories and more flexibility for how items themselves are customized could help a lot with this.

9) At times I haven't figured out exactly what it takes for 1Password to set for an item and pull down the website favicon that is used as item icon when you see the list of items in 1Password. It would be nice to be able to double-click on the icon image (when in item editing mode) and paste in the URL of the website so that you could explicitly set how 1Password could "grab" the website favicon.

1Password does not use favicons; rather, we have Rich Icons we use for popular websites that the apps can download on demand. It's an interesting idea about the URL though. While 1Password pulling the favicon is a terrible idea (if you've seen any of these scaled up to that size you'll understand why), it might be cool if, instead of downloading the image and setting it as the item's icon in 1Password, you could enter an image URL there to have it do that for you.

10) I would like to set the directory/file path for backups that 1Password uses explicitly. The default backup directory is buried down in the library application support directory. I don't always backup the library folder since it doesn't change much from week to week. However I do like to make sure the the 1Password backups are always be backed up to offsite backup. So for now I manually copy the backup files over into a specific folder in the Documents directory.

If you're syncing with a folder (or Dropbox) and your backup routine is versioned, you don't really need this as you'll already have that backed up over time. I'm not sure we'll allow custom backup destinations since that complicates things as far as sandboxing, but it's certainly something we can consider.

If further clarity is desired let me know. Thank you.

Really the first one is the only one I was unsure about, but if you have additional comments on the others I'd love to hear them. Either way, thanks for taking the time to give us all of this feedback! :)

• cswannack
    cswannack
    Community Member

Hello Brently

1) Yes...you are correct...I want to change the category assignment of an existing password record because at the time that I created the password record. Once the 1Password dialog appears and I click on the "Save" button there is no option to change the category type assignment of the password record. It would seem that 1Password makes some type of automatic selection of what category the password record is assigned to that you cannot change.

6) Just for clarity...my request was that I could have more than 10 symbol or 10 numerical characters in my password. Right now if I want to create a 25 digit password, the slider control limits me to a total of 10 symbol characters plus 10 numerical characters. I cannot have 12 symbol digits and/or 11 numerical digits...plus the 3 alpha characters for a total password length of 25 characters.

7) I couldn't find the 'option' to "not save" password for a site while I was viewing the list of my password records. There doesn't seem to be a menu-item for turning on/off this option when you right mouse-click on the record in the list of passwords. I also did some further testing and confirmed that when the "1Password - Save Login" appears you will have the option of either "Create New" a password or "Update Existing" password. Once you have made your selection type, the only button options to save the information are the "Not Now" or "Save Login" buttons...there is no apparent options to also configure 1Password to 'ignore" the site or request the password for the site.

The only time I have ever seen the "Never autosave for this site..." message appears is when the browser itself is trying to save the password information for you.

9) I am fine with an image URL method to pull in a image into password record. Whether it is done through a Rich Icon, Image URL or a FavIcon makes no difference to me, the spirit of the request is to make the process easier to add/update/modify an image to a password record in the list.

10) I am not sure I understand the "sandbox" comment about backup locations, when you give me the option to "Find a Backup..." on the Backup Tab of the Preferences dialog. It would seem that if the backup is expected to be already found in the default location and that it is a sandbox environment...then the application wouldn't be asking me for the location of the 'backup' file as an option.

Yes, my backup routine is versioned, only because I dig down into the systems folders to copy the backup folder out of the "Users\username\Library\ApplicationSupport\1Password\Backups" folder and put a copy in my documents folder so that the backup program will now copy it..thus the reason for the request for me to specifically set the backup folder file path where 1Password saves backups.

1, 6, & 7) I have screenshots that I can upload to confirm the behavior that I am observing in support of feature request #1, #6, and #7

Thank you taking the time for your answers to my feature request.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) Yes...you are correct...I want to change the category assignment of an existing password record because at the time that I created the password record. Once the 1Password dialog appears and I click on the "Save" button there is no option to change the category type assignment of the password record. It would seem that 1Password makes some type of automatic selection of what category the password record is assigned to that you cannot change.

@cswannack: Hmm. I'm not sure we're quite on the same page. 1Password doesn't really do anything "automatically", that is to say without user input. The closest it comes to that is when you save login credentials in your web browser, it will save them as a Login item, since that's what they're for. And if you use a generated password, it will save a Password item for that, so you're not locked out if you forget to save a Login there. You can select one of those in 1Password for Mac and choose "Convert to Login" though, as a bit of a workaround.

6) Just for clarity...my request was that I could have more than 10 symbol or 10 numerical characters in my password. Right now if I want to create a 25 digit password, the slider control limits me to a total of 10 symbol characters plus 10 numerical characters. I cannot have 12 symbol digits and/or 11 numerical digits...plus the 3 alpha characters for a total password length of 25 characters.

Agreed. That's definitely something we want to add when we revamped the strong password generator. Thanks for the clarification!

7) I couldn't find the 'option' to "not save" password for a site while I was viewing the list of my password records. There doesn't seem to be a menu-item for turning on/off this option when you right mouse-click on the record in the list of passwords. I also did some further testing and confirmed that when the "1Password - Save Login" appears you will have the option of either "Create New" a password or "Update Existing" password. Once you have made your selection type, the only button options to save the information are the "Not Now" or "Save Login" buttons...there is no apparent options to also configure 1Password to 'ignore" the site or request the password for the site.

Correct. That's because generally it isn't a good idea to disable autosave permanently for a website, since you're likely to forget. You can, however, click the "gear" icon and choose "Never Autosave for this site" or explicitly add an exclusion in 1Password Preferences > Browsers.

The only time I have ever seen the "Never autosave for this site..." message appears is when the browser itself is trying to save the password information for you.

Right. I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do though. You want to save this setting within a particular login item? If so, that's not going to work. What if you have multiple logins for that website? Which one's autosave preference is 1Password supposed to respect? Let me know if you meant something else.

9) I am fine with an image URL method to pull in a image into password record. Whether it is done through a Rich Icon, Image URL or a FavIcon makes no difference to me, the spirit of the request is to make the process easier to add/update/modify an image to a password record in the list.

Sounds good. You can also edit an item to add your own icon in 1Password for Mac. Otherwise you'll get the default, whether that be based on the category or a Rich Icon if the site is in our database.

10) I am not sure I understand the "sandbox" comment about backup locations, when you give me the option to "Find a Backup..." on the Backup Tab of the Preferences dialog. It would seem that if the backup is expected to be already found in the default location and that it is a sandbox environment...then the application wouldn't be asking me for the location of the 'backup' file as an option.

1Password can read data from outside its sandbox if you allow it to, but it can only write to specific locations (e.g. its support folder, Dropbox, etc.)

Yes, my backup routine is versioned, only because I dig down into the systems folders to copy the backup folder out of the "Users\username\Library\ApplicationSupport\1Password\Backups" folder and put a copy in my documents folder so that the backup program will now copy it..thus the reason for the request for me to specifically set the backup folder file path where 1Password saves backups.

Rather than digging, you can always have a script that runs as part of the backup process (or cron) to copy it for you periodically. Popular backup apps like SuperDuper! and CarbonCopyCloner support this. There are other methods as well. My point is that it doesn't have to be a manual process if you don't want it to. You have a lot of power as a desktop user.

1, 6, & 7) I have screenshots that I can upload to confirm the behavior that I am observing in support of feature request #1, #6, and #7

I think there may be some misunderstanding. (#1) When you save a login, this will and always should be saved as an actual Login item, as that is the only category designed for this purpose. So we're not going to ask you if you want to save a login as a Secure Note or something. (#2) I think you misread my future-tense as present-tense when I was talking about improvements we'll be making to the strong password generator in the future. These are not available yet. (#3) We can certainly consider your request for having 1Password remember your refusal to save a login after a certain number of tries, but it's problematic for the reasons I stated earlier. I'm sorry for not being clearer!

Thank you taking the time for your answers to my feature request.

Sure thing! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your suggestions and feedback. I can't promise that we'll do everything you want us to, but I think there's a lot of common ground here — if nothing else, our mutual love for 1Password. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.