To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New Member with Sync & Setup Questions

Options
GLM
GLM
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Memberships

After giving up on my 1Password syncing via iCloud (with my Macbook Pro and iPhone) after buying a new Mac, I became a member and bought the subscription model for easier syncing with 1Password. Here are my questions.

1. I was gun shy to delete my Primary vault with 914 items when going through the setup process. So, now that the app is setup on my Macbook Pro, I thought I would use the directions here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account. I'm currently back at the prompt again where it's asking me to enter my Master Password to accept that "914 items are about to be deleted" / "You are about to delete your Primary vault with 914 items in it. Please enter your Master Password to confirm." Should I do this? Shouldn't this box be more descriptive by saying something like, "You're about to delete your OLD primary vault. This will not affect your new vault that copied all your old vault items into your new membership account."? I'm hoping this is the end game, but it sure is frightening entering that Master Password and thinking I might lose everything. Should I go ahead and do it?

2. Since I've been in limbo with no syncing over the past few weeks, the newer logins are currently on my phone app and not my Mac app. Under my iPhone app under Settings > Sync, it says "Primary" to the left and "iCloud" to the right. Since I assuming I'm no longer using iCloud for this, should I Click "Delete Vault" on my iPhone?

3. If I do #2 above, will it then sync everything that I am assuming is now on the 1Password server? And if that's the case, will that erase the new entries I've made over the past several weeks on my iPhone app? Or will it somehow take what's on my iPhone app and add it to my Mac app?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi @GLM

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I’d be happy to help here.

1. Yes, you should enter your Master Password and delete the Primary vault. You’ll need to do this step on each device. You can double check first that all of your data is now in your 1Password account by logging in on 1Password.com and viewing it there. The Primary vault is not part of your account, so deleting it can have no effect on the information shown there.
    2. Yes, with the same caveat as above.
    3. If there are items in the Primary vault that aren’t visible on 1Password.com you should migrate those items over before deleting the Primary vault. If you’re signed into your account on your iPhone after you delete the Primary vault the iPhone will mirror 1Password.com (same for the Mac).

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.