Unlocking 1Password takes a long time the first time in a session

a2sheppy
a2sheppy
Community Member

The first time I unlock 1Password during a session (where a session is anytime I've had to re-enter my password to use my Mac—either by rebooting or unlocking my Mac's display), unlocking 1Password takes a very long time (between 1.5-3 minutes), every time I do so under these circumstances. This happens both on my 2017 iMac18,3 with 48 GB of memory and on my late 2016 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of memory, and has happened consistently starting many months ago, back when I was still on macOS 10.12. Now running 10.13.2.

I've seen other posts about this issue but they seem to indicate that the problem is resolved; but I'm still seeing it here. I'm using 1Password 6.8.5 from the Mac App Store. Watchtower is enabled although it doesn't appear to matter whether it's on or off.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.7.0.1 (beta)
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud and Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@a2sheppy: Yeah that's really weird. My computer is much older than yours, has less raw power and RAM, and it's about a second for me. I've also got a lot of data and different vaults in 1Password. You mentioned Dropbox and iCloud, but what are we dealing with here exactly?

• How many vaults do you have?
    • What format are your non-iCloud/Primary vaults in?
    • Edit: OH! Are you using spinning magnetic disks, otherwise known as mechanical hard drives? That could certainly make a difference

Definitely try Help > Tools > Optimize Database, but I'm wondering if there isn't a deeper system issue killing performance. I'd really expect this old laptop to be much worse off than you. :(

• dbingham
    dbingham
    Community Member

Same trouble here. I also notice that 1P mini takes a long time to respond to the cmd+opt+\ keystroke as well. Long enough that I start to think it has crashed so I launch the main app and by the time it comes up, mini comes around and responds as well. Then I go to unlock and it takes a while. Haven't timed it, but I usually context shift to something else while I wait and come back later.

I have 18 vaults. 2 are local, the others are sync'd through family/teams.
    Not sure what "format" means. so can't answer there.
    My iMac has a fusion drive. Late '13 iMac here.

Did try optimizing the database, but it was pretty quick and said 0 items changed or something like that.

Happy to provide any other information that helps identify/resolve.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbingham - by "format," brenty meant: are they the older Agile Keychain format, or OPVault? The latter is faster and more flexible. Still, that shouldn't be that much of an issue. Is this something that you can alter with a restart of your Mac? Does it resolve temporarily? Stay the same? Something else?

• dbingham
    dbingham
    Community Member

@Lars Gotcha. I don't know how I'd know the format anyway. So glad it doesn't matter much.

Haven't restarted recently, but this has been going on for months and I know I've done stuff like install OS updates, etc during that time. So I don't think it is impacted by a restart.

Having said that, I realized that I have my settings such that I should only have to unlock once per session anyway. So I just tried to lock and unlock manually. Indeed upon subsequent unlocks it is reasonably fast 1-2 seconds. Seems to only be the first one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbingham Hmmm, not sure what might be doing that, just off the top of my head. By the way, you can tell the format by visiting Preferences > Sync and looking at the file path, which will end in either one or the other. Or you can open your Dropbox folder and look there; you'd see either .agilekeychain or .opvault.

Remember, on a restart, 1Password mini has to actually launch before you can invoke it. Not sure how many things you have launching at restart, but especially if you're using spinning platter hard drives, that might affect things. If the issue is persisting, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/416776#Comment_416776
    • Your forum username: @dbingham

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the Subject/title.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• dbingham
    dbingham
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Here you go, @Lars : #NGV-62312-994

• dbingham
    dbingham
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

~Yikes. Thats big. I have no idea why or how to change it.~

Fixed.

• eveningclouds
    eveningclouds
    Community Member

fyi, I have the same problem. Running latest Mac OS. Using opvault in a Dropbox folder to synch. Program takes anywhere from 15 to a minute or more to start, both starting up the app itself or trying to access mini from Chrome. Has been going on for months now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbingham - thanks; replied to you via email.

ref: NGV-62312-994

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@eveningclouds - for the record, I doubt this has a lot to do with sync, but thanks for letting us know what method you're using. Do you recall what changed around the time the problem began? Did you update 1Password? Update macOS? Restore from a backup or perform other disk/system-intensive changes?

This discussion has been closed.