1Password requires authorization to work with Safari — every time I launch Safari

GeoffreyStaines
GeoffreyStaines
Community Member

This problem started this afternoon.

Every time that I open Safari, the "Authorize 1Password Extension" page opens, showing a code. At the same time, a separate 1Password Authorization window is displayed, stating "1Password requires authorization to work with Safari". It shows the same code and gives me a Cancel and an Authorize button. I have to click the Authorize button.

If I close and restart Safari, the business starts again — I am forced to re-authorize.

What do I need to do to make the authorization stick?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I get the message "1Password requires authorization" every time I open the browser

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GeoffreyStaines: Thanks for getting in touch! It sounds like you're either clearing something in Safari yourself, or there's something preventing Safari from saving it in the first place. Are you using 3rd party software that might impact this, or are you taking an action that could? Reinstalling Safari is often necessary in these cases, but I'd prefer to eliminate other causes first since you might end up having the same problem again otherwise.

• GeoffreyStaines
    GeoffreyStaines
    Community Member

I am not knowingly doing anything to clear anything in Safari.

Yesterday afternoon I did open the Keychain Access utility (in the Utilities folder) and saw (and clicked on) the 1Password keychain. I did not unlock this keychain, however, and therefore made no changes to it. (I do not even know if the 1Password keychain is even being used — I noted that it seemed not to contain a lot of entries, and it was last modified on July 24, 2009.)

To my knowledge I am not using any third party software that could interfere with this process. 1Password was working fine until yesterday afternoon (about 5 PM EST) and I had not installed anything. What kinds of third party software could cause this problem?

Thanks for your help.

• @GeoffreyStaines,

No recent versions of 1Password should have any separate keychain in Keychain Access. This sounds like a holdover from an earlier version of 1Password 3 or even older.

Rudy

• GeoffreyStaines
    GeoffreyStaines
    Community Member

@Rudy Yes, I have been a 1Password user since version 3.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@GeoffreyStaines: Some software will try to erase information from browsers to remove session information, or "security" software can block things from being saved, often mistaking anything encrypted for something malicious. I'm having trouble comprehending why Keychain would be involved, but Rudy probably knows something I don't — or have simply forgotten.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com
    Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: YCU-28489-172

• GeoffreyStaines
    GeoffreyStaines
    Community Member

@brenty I have submitted the diagnostic report with the Support ID [#YCU-28489-172].

I have restarted my Mac, and when Safari launched, I was again asked to re-authorize 1Password.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GeoffreyStaines -- thanks for submitting that; I've replied. Let's keep the conversation going over there in private. :)

• GeoffreyStaines
    GeoffreyStaines
    Community Member

@Lars I got your message and will be replying to the e-mail. SPOILER ALERT: There is a happy end to this story.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@GeoffreyStaines Yay! We <3 happy ends! Looking forward to your email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, thank you so much for following up!

In case it helps anyone else, adblockers can prevent Safari from saving the authentication token, causing it to have to be authorized each session, so disabling them to allow it to save in the first place can help. Cheers! :)

• erogers3
    erogers3
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue and it only started in the last week. EVERY time I open Safari I get the authorization prompt. like Geoffrey above. And no matter how many times I authenticate, it still pops up again. I'm not using an ad blocker (that I know of). How do I fix this? I'm using Mac OS 10.13.2, Safari 11.0.2, and 1P 6.8.6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@erogers3 - anything that interferes with the communication between 1Password's browser extension and the 1Password mini in your Mac's menubar can potentially be a problem. If you're using cache cleaners or "internet history erasers" that includes wiping local storage in Safari, that can have an effect as well. Are you using any such utilities/applications?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erogers3: Also, "adblockers".

This discussion has been closed.