To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Starting an account for someone else

Options
Zangerpix
Zangerpix
Community Member

Hi Everyone. I would like to create an account for my dad from MY computer. He has all of his passwords stored on a 4-page Word doc. I would like him to start using 1Password and offered to do all the data entry for him. Can I do that data entry on MY computer and somehow send him all the files to download and import into 1PW on HIS computer? Thanks, J

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud or Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Zangerpix,

Have you considered using 1Password Families and adding your dad as a family member? This way if ever he was to forget his Master Password later you could help him recover his account.

Assuming you're looking to set him up with an individual 1Password.com account, you would have two options that I can think of:
    1. Have access to his email address while you're doing the initial setup so that you can click the confirmation link that is sent
    2. Create the account with your own email address, and when it's done go through the Email Change process to set it to the correct email address.

In both cases you could setup the account perfectly for him and then provide him with an Emergency Kit document that contains everything he'd need to setup his own devices.

Rick

• Zangerpix
    Zangerpix
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rick. I like your second idea best. That way I won't be burdened with the potential complication of being connected to all his information. I also think he'd want to be completely independent. Brilliant. Thanks. Will do! J

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zangerpix: Glad Rick was able to help! But honestly one of my favourite things about 1Password Families is that my loved ones aren't completely lost to hope if they get locked out, as I can help them recover their account as an Organizer. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.