Extension Issue with Firefox Developer Edition v.59.0b1 [reported fixed with 59.0b4]

Options
hbilles
hbilles
Community Member
edited January 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

It seems that the 1Password extension has stopped working with the most current Firefox Developer edition (v.59.0b1). The extension works fine with the current Firefox Release (v.57). The extension icon in the Developer Release is blinking constantly (see attached gif), which I guess is happening as the extension can't communicate with the 1Password application.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.7.0.1, 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hbilles,

It seems the latest update to Firefox Developer Edition included a change to the bundle identifier. Little Snitch flagged the update as well for the very same reason. We've filed a report with Mozilla as we suspect it is an unintended change and if so, a future update to Firefox Developer Edition should resolve this.

• twalter
    twalter
    Community Member
    Options

Any more information on this - my firefox dev version just automatically updated today (1/18/2018) and now my 1P icon is flashing and not working. This is my primary browser - can't hardly get anything done without 1Password shortcut icon working.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the trouble but this is on Firefox’s end. You can follow this bug for updates: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1431477

• twalter
    twalter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! I'm sure they'll get it fixed in due time. Mozilla may break some things in prerelease versions, but that's what they're for. :lol:

• drjones
    drjones
    Community Member
    Options

Hello All,

Since yesterday I experience problems with my browser extension in firefox developer edition.
    Check this video: https://streamable.com/cprmm
    You can see my browser extension icon flashing (I don't know why) and I can't click on it.
    If I hit the shortcut for «Show 1password mini» it will appear, but won't make any suggestions which passwords I can use on the site I am currently visiting (e.g.: I am on Amazon and it won't suggest my amazon logins). If I try that in Firefox (not developer edition) this all works.
    Also if I open the 1password mini, search for a login, and hit enter, it will indeed open the corresponding webpage, but it does not fill the user and password.

For now it's driving me crazy, because I am so used to this workflow.

And yes: I uninstalled Firefox Developer Edition twice, also removed and reinstalled the browser extension twice. Made sure 1pass is running on the newest version.

A hint, where I might suspect the error: Yesterday Firefox Developer Edition prompted me something about my default browser. I already had Firefox dev edition as default, but it asked me if I wanted to further use 'mozilla.firefox... something' or change it to 'Firefox Developer Edition'.
    Cause the system seemed to want me to change it, so I did. Maybe that was the point, when this all started.

I would be very glad if you could help me.

(PS. I also tried to install the beta 1pass browser extension)... no help

1Password Version: 6.8.6
    Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
    OS Version: OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra)
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drjones,

I hope you don't mind but I've merged your post with a current thread. As you'll see from the conversation already in full flow the most recent update to Firefox Developer Edition included a change to the application bundle ID. It's most likely an oversight so we suspect a future update to Firefox will correct this :smile:

• sergiu
    sergiu
    Community Member
    Options

You may also add the new bundle ID in a future release in case Mozilla doesn't revert it.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately, the new value is not actually a valid bundle identifier. I expect that if they don't fix the bundle identifier that they will run into other issues as well. :smile:

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• drjones
    drjones
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for merging my post. That makes totally sense. And thanks for the update here. Then I'll wait for mozilla to fix it :). Cheers

• dalton
    edited January 2018
    Options

@drjones: On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're welcome! We'll be waiting for Mozilla to fix the issue as well. :)

• twalter
    twalter
    Community Member
    Options

Just noticed an update from the problem version 59.0b1 to a new version 59.0b2 which still prevents 1P from working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twalter: As mentioned in the Mozilla bug Jamie linked above, it sounds like a fix will probably be next week.

• twalter
    twalter
    Community Member
    Options

I rely on 1Password and Firefox Developer so much that this little glitch has slowed my production by 20%. Crazy how important 1P has become for me but glad I have it. Couldn't imagine life without it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twalter: I know exactly how you feel! Fortunately Mozilla is aware of the issue, and there are alternatives in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• DaMaceMan
    DaMaceMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Same thing here. Running FF 59.0b2 (64-bit) on OSX 10.12.6 (16G1114) with 1Password 6 Version 6.8.5 (685004) installed.

I have tried disabling and removing (with FF quits in between) as well as re-installing both the regular add-on and beta.

I think the issue started when I updated to the FF version above.

• DaMaceMan
    DaMaceMan
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing here. Running FF 59.0b2 (64-bit) on OSX 10.12.6 (16G1114) with 1Password 6 Version 6.8.5 (685004) installed.

I've tried disabling, removing, and re-installing the add-on (both regular and beta) with FF quits in between each attempt. I see the 1P icon and it seems to be crashing as it "starts up" by turning the correct color, then goes back to the disabled color.

I'm not able to click it or use the shortcut keys. I believe the issue started when I updated to the FF version above.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @DaMaceMan! Looks like you're running the Developer Edition of Firefox. We've currently got a bug filed with Mozilla for it, because they've changed their bundle identifier to something 1Password doesn't recognize (it includes spaces). Until that's resolved, our suggestion would be - if you require 1Password integration - to stick with standard Quantum. If you need the Developer beta more than you need 1Password integration, you can always copy/paste items from 1Password into Firefox (or anywhere else). If you'd like to keep abreast of the status of things, you can follow the bug at Mozilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1431477

• ATXComstock
    ATXComstock
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Firefox Developer. I want to use 1Password with this browser. is that possible to do at this time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Can you help me enable 1Password to work with Firefox Developer

• ATXComstock
    ATXComstock
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 1Password 6, 6.8.6

thanks!

• Aerosmo
    Aerosmo
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this issue on osx.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ATXComstock and @Aerosmo. I've merged your thread with another ongoing thread about this issue. Please see Lars's post above for details, but this is a regression bug in Firefox that we are waiting for them to resolve.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• DaMaceMan
    DaMaceMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Lars I truly appreciate the quick response, thoughtful welcome, and great info. Thank you!

PS: Looks like they're on it: https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/214568/diff/1#index_header

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaMaceMan - you're quite welcome, and we look forward to this being resolved pretty quickly; it's not a horribly complicated fix.

• jbrodsky
    jbrodsky
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

So, I'm not using Firefox's developer edition and I also see this problem. What's that mean?

Firefox 57.0.4
    1Password 4.6.12.90

(Updated: Rebooting my machine seemed to do the trick for me.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jbrodsky - It is amazing the number of problems a simple restart will solve. That's why it's a tech support cliché. Glad to hear all's well for you now!

• tacoloco
    tacoloco
    Community Member
    Options

Problem is still there in newly released 59.0b3 Dev edition
    Frustrating :| Following on Bugzilla also.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

It's been less than a week. I'm sure they have a bit of lead time and review before accepting pull requests and shipping changes in a new version. Fortunately there are other versions of Firefox for us to use in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• timraymond
    timraymond
    Community Member
    Options

I could reproduce this issue exactly as described by @hbilles (the OP) in

Firefox Stable v.58.0 (released 1/23/18)
    1Password: v.6.8.6 (686003)
    Mac App Store

I have FIXED the issue. All I had to do was launch the full desktop application with Firefox open.

This discussion has been closed.