To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do we convert from a standalone license to a membership

Options
eden3668
eden3668
Community Member

My wife and I each have standalone licenses, but I see now that there are memberships available for families. How can we set up a family membership under our current license and keep all of our vault information? We'd ideally like to make use of the automatic syncing feature that works across multiple devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@eden3668 -

I see now that there are memberships available for families.

There are indeed!

How can we set up a family membership under our current license...?

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product (this is what you currently do):

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

However, as you can see, because standalone licenses and 1password.com memberships are different things, you can't just "set up a 1Password membership under your license." However, there are many advantages to a 1password.com account, and if you'd like to set one up, we'd be happy to have you as a member! You can head over to the main 1Password Families sign-up page, and you and your wife can each have a Private vault as well as access to the family-wide Shared vault. You can move your existing 1Password data to your account, and enjoy all the benefits. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.