Setup on new computer not syncing with any other computers or phones

Doctordun
Doctordun
Community Member

I just set up 1Password on my new iMac Pro.
Signed in to my account and all the files/passwords downloaded onto my new iMac.
I selected two items and made changes to see if they would show up on other devices and did the same with two other files, one on my laptop and one one my iPhone. None of the changes are syncing between the new iMac and my other devices.
In fact, none of my changes on any device appears on any other device. They all seem to be independent now.
Suggestions??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member

I am using the latest IOS and OS operating systems as well as the latest 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doctordun - sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password syncing across devices. That certainly shouldn't be the case with a 1password.com account. I'd like you to try the following: on each device you're using 1Password with your account, create a new Secure Note. Name them something uniquely-identifying, so you'll be able to see what shows up where (or doesn't): something like "From iMac," "From iPad," whatever configuration of devices you have. Then wait a moment or two and see what shows up on which devices. Let us know what you discover!

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member

The secure notes passed between my legacy devices, but not my new iMac Pro that I just set up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Doctordun: It sounds like you need to setup sync there then, or, if you're using a 1Password .com membership, you haven't migrated your data to your account yet. Unfortunately without some basic information you've omitted from your posts it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what sync method are you using on your other devices? Do you have a Primary vault on any of them? Where are you able to access your data? Thanks in advance! :)

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member

I believe the problem is what you described. Up till now, I have relied on Dropbox for sync and it seems my other devices are still using that. My new device does not and I started my quest trying to set up a Dropbox sync on the new device.
    Now that I know this sync method is not used any more, I need to find out how I can get all my devices to sync from my account.
    My other Macs: 1Password 6
    Version 6.8.6 (686004)
    My iPhone has the latest you provide.
    Yes, I have primary vaults on the other three devices, but not the new one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doctordun - so here's the question for now: is there any data in the Primary vaults on those other three devices that isn't already in your 1password.com account's vaults? If not, then we can simply delete those other local vaults and go 1password.com-only on all devices.

If there ARE items on your other devices' Primary vaults that are not already in your 1password.com account, you'll want to figure out which ones they are and then move them from Primary to your account. You may have to add your account into the apps on those other devices first, in order to move any items necessary.

Once you've done all that, you can remove the Primary vault on all the other devices. On a Mac, empty the Primary vault by sending any remaining unneeded items to 1Password's trash. Then visit Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon at the top-right of the Preferences window), and deselect the box marked Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. That will leave you running your 1Password account vaults only. You will be asked to enter your Master Password to perform this operation. On an iOS device, go to Settings > Advanced (may have to scroll down to see Advanced), then tap on Erase all 1Password Data in red at the bottom. This will erase all data and quit 1Password. From your iOS device's home screen, relaunch 1Password and it will be as if you are a new user. Use your Setup Code from your Emergency Kit to sign yourself back into your account. Let us know how that works for you!

• Doctordun
    Doctordun
    Community Member

Okay. I am really messed up. I have 5 devices, computers and phones set up with 1 Password.
    All seem to be a bit different when it comes to setup.
    The primary computer, the very first I ever set this up several years ago appears to only be using the Dropbox for sync and has the most complete data set.
    In Preferences, the "Local Vaults" - Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password is greyed out, so I cannot uncheck the box.
    I was successful in exporting my data from this primary account.
    I was thinking my best bet would be to erase everything, sign back in with my Emergency Kit on all devices and on one device, import the back up data.
    Is this a possible solution?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doctordun - sorry for the confusion! The reason that button to allow creation... is grayed out is because you have more than one local (standalone) vault. You have to use the instructions in my previous reply to move items out of ALL your local vaults, and then delete the individual vaults (besides Primray), by clicking on 1Password > Delete (name of vault) Vault. Make sure they're empty before you delete them. When you're down to only the Primary vault, you'll find that checkbox is no longer grayed out, and you can remove Primary as well.

Try that first, and let us know how it goes. Once things are good on one device (i.e. - all data within 1Password account vaults only), then switching over to 1Password account-only will be much easier on subsequent devices.

This discussion has been closed.