Could Have Used 1Password? Ya Think?

bobson58
bobson58
Community Member

I truly rely on 1Password. I bet he wishes he had it. If it weren't so serious it would be a great advertisement for AgileBits. Check out the article.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/23/hawaii-governor-took-long-to-post-on-twitter-about-missile-alert-because-forgot-username-password.html

I reviewed the forum rules and did not see anything against humor, attempted or otherwise. I hope this does not raise any ire from the management. If so please remove my very first post, dedicated to the brand I love.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bobson58: Not a problem at all! The only reason it gives us pause is that it's hard to know whether to laugh, cry, cringe...or all of the above. Truly a "comedy" of errors. I suspect if I lived in Hawaii I might find it less humourous...or perhaps hitting the beach in January makes it easier to brush something like this off. :lol:

On a related note, however, foxnews.com should be careful who they throw technological stones at (I hope they're using a password manager!) given the horrendous design of their site. Those ads... :scream:

Anyway, thanks for sharing! :)

• bobson58
    bobson58
    Community Member

Could you have someone in marketing reach out to Fox News to offer having one of your team come on and explain the issues around Passwords, their protection and how the challenges are very real? Perhaps rather than an ad, it can be pursued today with them as a public service. Great PR if you pull it off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@bobson58

Could you have someone in marketing reach out to Fox News to offer having one of your team come on and explain the issues around Passwords, their protection and how the challenges are very real? Perhaps rather than an ad, it can be pursued today with them as a public service. Great PR if you pull it off.

Most people are clueless about password managers, using unique passwords, or scared too use them. It’s sad. I’m actually working on a project now to let people know how to better secure your social media, and teaching people too. I’ll be dropping the 1Password name a few times ;)

• bobson58
    bobson58
    Community Member

I am really interested in hearing from you about how passwords can be used to secure social media. So much of the social community registration is based on demographics which are widely available on a person so there seems to be lower value in protection. I wonder if you envision aiding people to protect their information on a site or their overall privacy relating to movement, observing, participating, viewpoints and activities?

I have conceptualized a new framework for individuals to define their online persona. That includes things like interests, needs, experience and skills. I was planning to keep one's profile that makes up their persona safe by using bit chain based storage methods. Can 1Password protect personas rather than access to domains or data repositories?

I just don't want the ability of unknown parties to grab one's social media profile and where they venture. Imagine I am working on stress management for myself and participate in a forum. I don't mind those in the forum being aware as we all share the same interest, but I don't want my boss to know. Thus having the information discerned by a dubious third party raises the specter of undo pressure being put on me to have that remain private, so the party does not notify my boss that I am working on stress management.

If you are interested, this might be taken off line, but either way I do appreciate your views as it relates to the social world.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Can 1Password protect personas rather than access to domains or data repositories?

@bobson58: To be clear, 1Password does not and cannot protect accounts themselves. We don't run social media services, so while 1Password can help you by creating a long, strong, unique random password for each account, save them for you securely, and fill them for you in your web browser — so you don't have to do all of this manually. The important thing is to use a different strong password for each site so that if and when they are breached — remember, 1Password can't stop that from happening because we don't control 3rd party websites — your exposure is limited: your Facebook account getting compromised (for example) won't mean your Twitter account is compromised since they're using completely different credentials. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

^^ what @brenty said :lol:

My thing will be showIng people the importance of unique and strong passwords. And other tools do help as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For anyone starting out (I remember when that was me!) it's all about taking it one step at a time. It can be easy to get overwhelmed with all the different things we need to do to improve our security, but starting with a few important accounts and then creating strong, unique random passwords for each over time makes it much more manageable I think. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.