Is there a way to encrypt google passwords that are in plain text? If so how would I do that.

Options

If you look at your google account you can see all of your user names and passwords in plain text. Is there a way for 1Password to have these encrypted?

I noticed that LastPass will do this, but I'd much rather use 1Password.

Thanks,

M

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:encrypt google passwords

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi @mstoner,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I’m not entirely sure I understand what it is that you’re asking for. Where exactly are you seeing these passwords?

Please let us know.

Ben

ref: JNN-63122-688

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

I believe he is referring to the built-in password manager of Chrome. As far as I’m aware there is no way to encrypt them, and there is no need to use that function since you have 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsjr2006: Ah, perhaps you're right. :) :+1:

@mstoner: Indeed, if you enable Chrome's import/export feature for passwords, you could import the CSV into a 1Password.com account, or use @MrC ’s converter use a script there to create a 1PIF to import into the 1Password app...but if you only have a few copying and pasting them manually into logins may be simpler.

Either way, anything you store in 1Password is encrypted using your Master Password, so it's a secure way to store login credentials. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mstoner
    mstoner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I'll be trying this over the weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome! And be sure to let us know if you have any questions about 1Password. :chuffed:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

As an FYI to future web surfers who encounter this thread...

I have just posted an update to the 1.10 version of the converter suite. It now includes a native chrome converter. It will decrypt and convert your Chrome form fill data (Logins, Credit Cards). Only macOS is supported currently - I'll look into Windows support soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: Awesome! I'm gonna have to dump some stuff into Chrome to mess around with that. :love:

This discussion has been closed.