Created a new vault but can't log in to it.

paulbartell
paulbartell
Community Member
  • Using Mac.
  • I created a new vault for use by our house sitter.
  • Set up a new password for the new vault.
  • Quit 1Password.
  • Launched 1Password.
  • Entered the Master Password for the new vault and it would only accept the Master Pasword for the original, "Primary" vault.

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (686004)
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OSX v10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:created a new vault can't log in with its password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell: That's correct: just like the name, 1Password unlocks using a single Master Password — the one for the first vault/account you've setup in the app.

You may want to consider a 1Password Families membership though, since you could invite the babysitter as a guest and share a vault with them (and, of course, invite loved ones to share vaults securely with them as well). It also gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

And, ultimately, it sounds like you're giving the babysitter access to your entire computer. They probably aren't malicious, but even if they're careless giving someone else control over your computer is a great way to get malware, if only by accident. And then you could end up having your own data compromised the next time you access it. Just something to consider.

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

I'm disappointed. I thought I already had everything I needed... but just didn't know how to use it. I mean, what is the point of having multiple vaults at all if not to cordon off certain information for certain people?

Followed your "all of its benefits" link:
    I own a license to 1Password so that makes me a "member" with an "account", right?
    I have always had the ability to share 1Password across all devices in my family. (2people, 2Macs, 2iPads, 1iPhone)
    "apps" is not a term I would associate with 1Password on a Mac, I'm thinking "apps" is unrelated to my question.

So I'm confused.

I guess the saving grace here is that once I switch to the alternate vault (with limited info), it stays there when one logs back in.

Thanks for the cautions. This is a trusted sister-in-law, house sitting and tending to an elderly Mom. The limited data is related to medical info and how to schedule appointments for her. So its not as stupid as it sounded.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell

So its not as stupid as it sounded.

It didn't ever sound stupid, at all. My goodness, if we gave you that impression, I'm sorry. :( That's not at all an unreasonable thing to envision/want to be able to do with 1Password. But sometimes things just aren't set up the way you're expecting. And in this case, with standalone data (and a license, instead of an account), you can create as many vaults as you like...but they will all unlock with one password (hence, as brenty pointed out, the name).

I own a license to 1Password so that makes me a "member" with an "account", right?

No. I realize these are arbitrary terms and it's easy to get them confused if you're not already familiar with how we use them, but licenses and memberships (accounts) are different things. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

I wish I had better news for you on the standalone license front, but brenty's suggestion of a 1Password Families account will be what you're looking for; it can do exactly what you're imagining. Another option that would allow you to stay with your standalone license would be to create a new user account on the computer in question; then 1Password could be set up with a local (standalone) Primary vault that she could access, using her own Master Password. You could take the 1Password items you think she might need, export them as .1pif, then import them into her Primary vault for her use in your absence, without exposing the rest of your data.

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your response, Lars. I understand. I shouldn't have used the word stupid in my post, I meant more like reckless, than stupid.

Only thing that was a curveball for me was the "You purchase licenses for each platform separately" thing. I use iPassword on OSX and IOS "platforms", yet I only own a single license. If I had a Windows computer in my family(heaven forbid) would I have to buy a separate license for it? I figure maybe I'm misunderstanding your use of the word "platform".

So what then, was the reasoning for implementing multiple vaults in the original standalone/non-families product? Why does that capability exist at all?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell

I use iPassword on OSX and IOS "platforms", yet I only own a single license.

That's possible. On mobile platforms (iOS and Android), you can use the basic features for free -- but there is an in-app purchase that unlocks the Pro features. So if you've never done that, you may have only your license for 1Password for Mac.

If I had a Windows computer in my family(heaven forbid) would I have to buy a separate license for it?

Yes. Right now, Windows is a bit of an unusual situation, because our standalone product for Windows is 1Password 4 for Windows which is actually already in the legacy category due to its age. But when the upcoming 1Password 7 is released, we will likely be selling a combined license that will include both Windows and Mac. In the past, however, it has been one-license-per-platform.

So what then, was the reasoning for implementing multiple vaults in the original standalone/non-families product?

Many people never need more than the single Primary vault, and never create any others. However, some people want to keep their work items and their personal items separate, or something similar. There was also the ability to share vaults via Dropbox, which allowed users to share some, but not all, of their data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell: Indeed, I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression. Certainly it is possible to sync and share local vaults with people, but that's not what you're asking for: you're trying to share the 1Password app in a macOS user account, and neither 1Password nor macOS are designed for this use case. Both are designed to be used by a single person, and additional people can have their own setup under a different macOS user account. And, frankly, you're also talking about sharing your license with someone. A 1Password license is sold per-user and applies to the license holder, not meant to be shared with just anyone; if you purchased a family license instead of a single user license, you're entitled to allow your family members to use it...but it doesn't sound like the babysitter is a member of your household, which is probably — perhaps counterintuitively — also why you might be better off not trying to share things with them in this way in the first place, since that means granite access to your computer, user account, and the Master Password to a vault you use. Definitely a bit complicated.

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

Brenty,
    I'm still a little fuzzy on this whole family thing. I have a(one) license to 1Password. My wife and I use it on 2 Macbooks, 2 iPads and an iPhone. So have I been acting as some sort of 1Password pirate all along? Or because we're a family its OK, or what? Part of the beauty of this thing is to keep the two of us updated on the latest passwords we're using. This is a huge selling point when I tell my friends about 1Password. ((I've got friends that have their passwords on a 3x5 card scotch taped to the bottom of their laptop, so they're not very bright to begin with. And then they complain because the heat from the computer screws up the scotch tape.))

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell - sorry for the ongoing confusion. It's mostly due to the fact that we have indeed changed how 1Password is sold over the years. For some time (up until about a year or so ago), we sold a Family License for 1Password. This was the same as an individual license (i.e. - it was for the standalone app, not a subscription), but it authorized up to five people in your household to all download and install 1Password for Mac on as many Macs as each of you uses. If you purchased one of those - a Family License, then no, you weren't pirating 1Password. So, don't worry. :)

Since we launched 1Password Families, we've retired the older Family License, because 1Password Families is our new product for families who wish to use 1Password as a group. But if you purchased a couple of years ago or more, you would likely have been able to purchase one. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.